1947 KB-8 rear axle

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:32 am

1947 KB-8 rear axle

We just purchased a 1947 KB-8 with a leaking rear axle seal. We’re trying to identify the rear axle model. It is a single speed rear with lots of numbers stamped on it, but no name. I believe IH used Eaton axles, but none of the stamped numbers match up to anything. Can anyone enlighten us as to the axle and where, if possible, new axle seals could be purchased.
Also- we got a 1949 KB-7 parts truck with a 2-speed rear if anyone needs some parts
Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:19 pm

Re: 1947 KB-8 rear axle

OK, for starters I doubt it is Eaton. IHC made their own and when I get home I can look up the IHC axle number, but that will be of little help.
In the 40s they used greased bearings with a felt hub to axle seal and a rubber seal on the outboard bearing nut to seal the hollow axle tube to the axle shaft. That is what is leaking as the felt inboard seal was never supposed to see or hold back oil. If you are lucky you can find a "unitized" oil seal for the inboard position and run oil in the bearings (no more packing the wheel bearings with grease) But it is not a given that you will find such a seal. Take accurate measurements of hub bore and the spindle where the felt seal rides and plug them into a seal finder app.
https://www.skfextranet.com/crsealsfinder/
is the one I use, and see if you can find something close. You don't want a seal that rides on the spindle if you can help it, you want something like a Scotseal classic that has the sealing surface inside the seal itself.
I hope this helps.
The other way is to replace the rubber seal on the outer nut and install new felt for the inner seal.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks- think I found the period correct parts, but if there are any numbers that identify the axle- would be appreciated

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:57 pm

The K-8 could have several, but if it is not two speed and not double reduction, then the axle is either a R1570 or a R-1572 the difference if I am not mistaken is only in the wall thickness of the houseing, the guts seam to identical.
Again, it is the rubber seal on the bearing adjustment that is leaking if oil is coming out of the hub. The felt seal will never hold back oil, it was there to keep the grease in.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Looking at the heavier axles, they look to be a Detroit Axle/ Timken/ Rockwell Std design, But not sure if that is who made them or not. IHC did make their own (or at least designed them and had them made under contract) so they may be IHC or vendor, I don't know for sure, but they are old enough that the model number will be of little use.
Edit: Found in the manual that the double reductions are Timken axles (U200 etc) . The lighter two speeds use Eaton-Towne patented planetary 2nd reduction but don't know if that was used under lic or if the whole gearset was Eaton Towne design.
Single speeds are anybodies guess, I would look for a trademark on the parts.

Return to K and KB