Jeep Cherokee axle in KB1

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:00 am

Re: Jeep Cherokee axle in KB1

The beauty of an old trucks is driving it, no air conditioning, no synchro, no fast speed, but it's great to drive, and a lot of people would love to own one, you get the looks and the envy of people who want to drive it, so just enjoy the drive, I can only drive in and out of the driveway at the moment but from a kb3 owner. I'm going to soon.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:17 pm

captainbob wrote:
nikkinutshop wrote:Captainbob, please!
Almost everything you wrote is incorrect.
A ratio change will not change the truck's speed. Only the engine to road speed relationship will change. A ratio of 3:73 over the OEM of 4:11 may allow the engine to push the truck to a higher speed at a given rpm. This may be possible only if the engine has the power to push the truck past the resistances that come into play when going faster.
This is where good brakes are important. Is the brake system able to convert the kinetic energy of motion into heat and not fade? I think a 20% speed increase may be compatible with OEM brakes. The load in the truck adds to the stopping kinetic energy. Reduce the load and there should be more brake left to handle a mild increase in speed.
My R120 could go over 90 miles per hour. I installed a 420 cubic inch V8 Diesel and 4X4 axles. The "R" had 4 wheel disc brakes. Stopping was never a problem.
I have posted the how to determine the engine revolutions per mile using the axle ratio and the tire diameter. This is simple mathematics.
Here is a copy and paste of what I wrote:
You need to calculate the circumference of tire by using 3.1415 X the diameter of 31.4 inches. Your tire circumference should be 98.643 inches or close to 8 feet. One mile is 5280. Divide 5280 by 8 feet ( 98.643"). You should get 3063 revolutions in a mile. One mile in a minute is 3063rpm.
40 mph is 2/3 of 60 mph. Divide 3063 by 3 and multiply that new number by 2 and you get an rpm

Spring mounts are an easy move. Adapting the hydraulic system to the replacement axle is as easy as replacing the parts that should be replaced anyway.
BTW. The center section, or chunk, as you have named it, can be off-center a few inches and not affect the driveline.

I'll never understand why someone has to always find fault with a post or response instead of just offering their experience or knowledge in a friendly post. I don't intend to start any riff here so I'll defer to your post even though your statement that almost everything I wrote is incorrect, is not correct.

Every forum needs a "Karen"
Here's his last response to me on a question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTy_V5C ... e=youtu.be

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:07 pm

I can hear a couple of rear ends whining. Get that checked.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Previous

Return to K and KB