Original Wheel Paint Color

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:03 am

Original Wheel Paint Color

I have a black '47 KBs5 in original paint, but the wheel paint has long since flaked away. Was there a standard paint color for the wheels out the factory gate? As you can imagine black and white photos from the era haven't been much help...My impression from illustrated period advertisements is that the wheels were typically the same color as the body, with some variation when it comes to two tone body/fenders, is this true? I would like to keep the appearance true to the era as best I can. Advice? Thanks gents...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:29 pm

Re: Original Wheel Paint Color

So, I did a little looking for IH wheel color. I found black wheels and red wheels. One truck, like your truck has white wheel. The white wheels look terrible. My favorite is red.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:58 pm

Yes, I have been wanting to do them red, I just couldn't find red wheels with a black truck that wasn't a two tone truck or a bit of a hot rod. Your assessment has cinched it for me tho, RED they shall be! I just needed a bit of a shove off the fence. Thank you.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:02 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Valspar-4431-01- ... B000LNWU2M
Valspar make an IHC red paint. I bought a gallon for my Old IHC, LB engine restore project. This is a rich red. If I remember, a primer may not be necessary.
Rustoleum also have a no primer Implement red. I guess Rustoleum may not be allowed to use IHC in their paint name.
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&tbm= ... 44&dpr=1.3
Attachments
Dad's Funeral day.jpg
451d1a62-c864-4643-a7b2-3991e6a1c447.jpg
451d1a62-c864-4643-a7b2-3991e6a1c447.jpg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
3 minus flywheels.jpg
6b53041b-3481-4895-be87-291cf0b64c25.jpg
6b53041b-3481-4895-be87-291cf0b64c25.jpg (8.42 KiB) Viewed 3489 times

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:40 am

Thank you for the info, and very generous research on my behalf. Thats exactly the deep red shade I'm looking for.
The truck is coming along beautifully, one step at a time and when I'm not earning a living. I have an old timer buddy of mine helping me on the truck who keeps reminding me that "paint and chrome don't get you home", and while I know he's right about that, a good paint job with the right colors in the right places sure makes all the difference in the presentation doesn't it?
Beautiful pics by the way, a beautiful machine beautifully restored. Well done.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:48 pm

I have never been much of a chrome person.
I blasted the chrome off new reproduction headlight bezels and grill for my 1940 Ford. These parts were painted body colour. I was not disappointed because I got the look I wanted. I did keep the belt-line stainless trim. After a good polishing, my son and I pinstriped the ribs in the trim with red. We used a https://beugler.com/Beugler.pdf. I bought a new Beugler because my original Beugler was falling apart, after 55 years.
My IHC truck was chrome free. I did the running boards in Ford Argent silver/grey. I matched the dash, badges, bumpers, running boards, seat rails, cab overhead panels and window bezels.
I carefully repaired the pitting in the IH badges, then painted the badges in argent.
I like how the neutral argent makes other colours pop.
This sort of detailed stuff is not for everyone, so if anyone sees something they like take it and run with it. If it is not for you, kick it to the curb, step over it and carry on.
Attachments
R120 power windows and locks.jpg
R120 dash SW.jpg
R120 IHC DAD'S '53.jpg
R120- resized.jpg
01A-8215-C_lrg hood release handle.jpg
PIN STRIPE HUBCAP.jpg
PINSTRIPING THE STAINLESS TRIM.jpg

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:08 am

i like your aesthetic, and I appreciate your attention to those sorts of details, it makes all the difference in the finished result. A bit of well placed thoughtfulness and restraint in the right places is rare, and usually makes for more work. But then thats the art in it.
Thanks for sharing.

Return to K and KB