KB2 4x4?

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:35 pm

KB2 4x4?

Has anyone converted a KB2 to 4 wheel drive, keeping the frame and Green Diamond engine, etc? I searched and found nothing. I have a 5.11 rear end and I see you can buy 5.13 gears for a Dana 44. Are these ratios close enough to work together? I was asking about 4 spds on another thread thinking I could use the granny low in the mud.
You can see where this is all going!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Re: KB2 4x4?

Close enough.
I used a New Process 205 divorced transfer case for 225.000 miles. You will need a short shaft to connect the transfer case to the back of the transmission. I used what was called a prime male and primary female shaft with matching splines. This is about as short as I could get.
I do not have a picture, that I can find. I can take a picture this evening and post later. This 205 came out of an IHC Travelall. The 205 was used by ford, GM, Dodge and IHC. They are available in left and right front drive shaft. The 205 is a little noisy, but it is a nice sound. This transfer case was built by a cooperation between the big auto makers. There are millions of them. A 205 should be easy to find and affordable. Every part is in available. There are many adapters for every possible application. This a tough transfer case.
My 205 is sold and I cannot find a picture, yet.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 3730636812
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:07 pm

Thanks, Nikki! I assume I want a front axle with the diff on the passenger side or does it matter? Is a Scout 2 axle about the right width? I looked up Scout and KB2 and the wheel widths were within an inch of each other. I read somewhere that Dodge used the divorced NP205 in the 60's and they would be passenger side drop? Fords were always on the driver side, I think? I remember those Ford highboys in the 70's with the super long front driveshafts. Or, does it even matter what side the drop is on?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:55 am

The transfer case drop must match that of the differential. It does not matter which side. There is no drop side that is common to a manufacturer. The side chosen by a manufacturer may be for the most room for a drive shaft.
The New Process was used by IH, Ford, GM and Dodge. Divorced 205 applications, I do know IH used the Right side divorced 205 in the Travelall.
If you can send me the width measurement from bolt face to bolt face on your rear axle, I will measure the Wagoneer axle width on the Jeep D44s I have. The ratio in the Jeep axles is 3:30/1. The axles are disc front, drum rear. You could get lucky.
Attachments
DANA AXLES Jeep.jpg
Dana 44s.jpg

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:34 pm

I will when I get home in a few days. Thanks!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:30 pm

This is a picture of the male and female splined primary drive shaft parts. This set was in my R120 and connected the C6 transmission to the NP205. This is about as short as was possible way back then.
Attachments
primary shafts.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:46 pm

I found some information on this forum in my L110 Shorty build. The Wagoneer Dana axle bolt face to bolt face is 60 inches. This did not leave enough room for the tires to clear the box.
These axles will not get used by me. Once I get all of the parts collected, these axles could be free to the person who can use them. I do not know what the width of an older "K" is.

Return to K and KB