Help from anyone who has painted a K truck.

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:29 pm

Help from anyone who has painted a K truck.

Quick question, how did you guys paint the nose of the K/KB. My plan was to paint color on one side at a time (fins taped off), then clear front and back together. Trying to keep down over-spray through the fins. Just notice today when tapping off, that I would get a funky tape line on the fold of the fins if I colored and cleared one side only. Thanks for any suggestions. Wish me luck, truck now finally getting paint!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:08 pm

Re: Help from anyone who has painted a K truck.

Are you painting the front clip attached or do you have the clip off the frame? Would be really tough IMO to paint it attached. I did mine in pieces (nose, fenders separated).

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:31 pm

Yeah. it's all in pieces. My question is whether to paint the front and backside of (Nose piece) separate, or all at once.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:40 am

I would do it all at once, starting on the backside then finishing on the front. I always try to spray the areas seen the most when mounted on the truck last(if that makes any sense). Not that you don't want to get coverage everywhere but you don't really see the bottom undersides of the fins so if they are less than perfect no one will notice. I've never had an issue with overspray on the basecoat, it all seems to meld whether heavy or light, just avoid runs.Having the pieces at the right height helps a lot. Watch the corners of the fins, that's where runs will happen as the paint builds and flows out. If air temp is above 70 deg I'd use a slow reducer so the clear will flow out and reduce the chance of overspray causing a "sandy" finish. Not an expert by any means, just what I've learned, usually the hard way! Good luck!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:32 am

Thank you. That's what I was thinking, since the part is not that big, the paint will still be wet to wet even switching side. Thanks again.

Return to K and KB