3.54 in a kb2 rear housing...Whaaat?

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:29 pm

Re: 3.54 in a kb2 rear housing...Whaaat?

How did you settle on the Ford to begin with, and how did you determine that the hypoid offset was the same between the Ford set-up and the IHC?
I would think the initial selection would take almost as much work as the machining did.
I would think the threading would be unnecessary step, if the welds fail, the threads would not hold it.
Thank you for the write-up, just show what you can do if you don't take "it can't be done" for an answer.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:13 am

Hello Cornbinder.

The 34 Ford is a straight on ''banjo'' rear end..not offset (hypoid)

The gear set selection was recommended by my friends at Little Dearborn. They said that this particular modification had been done before with other car makes, to include the older WWII Jeeps..

I was unsure of the threaded approach as well... I wanted a morse taper with a key, but my machinist friend Joe felt he couldn't achieve the needed mating surfaces.

...The old model A Fords have that set up... the pinion is separate from the long torque-tube shaft, and uses a key.. I guess in the old flat-track days, they would shear the key off while racing, and carried extras in their pockets...

Take care, Mike

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:44 am

WOW! The abilities of people to work with stuff like this, and those of you with questions, constantly amazes me.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:24 pm

Ahh, went back and looked at your pictures. The second set with the marking paint, if I look close I can see the pinion center line lines up the spider gear shaft so it is not Hypoid, but just spiral bevel. Both being spiral bevel, means that wasn't an issue.
I am surprised how many rears are spiral bevel, The big Eatons are, as are many 2 spd (because of the bronze parts). Hypoid gearsets give more tooth contact then spiral bevel so it used more often.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Asking questions is how we share and get answers.
So many persons with no questions amaze me. Maybe they have all of the answers they need.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Previous

Return to K and KB