Transmission Questions

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:01 pm

Transmission Questions

Ok so I have a 1948 KB11, it currently has a 5 speed transmission and a brownie splitter its either a 3 or 4 split.

I have a second 5 speed trans that isnt mated.

Does any one have the specs for the 5 speed transmission? Im thinking about mating it behind a International DT466 without the brownie, just wondering if it would hold up to it. Also what type/size bell housing are they supposed to have.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:44 pm

Re: Transmission Questions

Can't say without know what the model number of the trans is, as to if it is direct or OD. As to how much power you can put it behind, it depends how hard or easy you are, If you are planning to do truck pulling at the county fair, or just drive it around, it make a difference.
Unless you are hard on things, I wouldn't worry about any trans that was behind a RED 6 being placed behind a 466.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:11 pm

Awesome. I will look for the ID tag tonight

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:37 am

I found some numbers cast into the top of the trans by the shift lever, it says:

F105N

*Also the DT466 is exactly the same size as the RD450 thats in it now. So it might be an easier swap than I thought!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:54 pm

Casting numbers are completly worthless for determining what parts are installed in the case. Most 5 spd truck trans were made in both direct and OD models, and sometimes with different ratios spreads in the gearing. Only the model number will tell what is inside.
Same holds true for casting numbers on engines and rear ends.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:04 pm

According to my manual a -11 could have a F-52x or an F-54x the suffix determines the gearing. Some will have two reverse ratios others only one, and can be either O/D or direct and the OD ratio can vary.
Aux boxes are either 2 speed (if Eaton) or 3 speed, no 4 speeds are listed.
This all only applies if things are original, who know what could have been installed over the years, so model numbers are required!

Return to K and KB