Running boards color

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Running boards color

Hey guys, Does anyone know if the original running boards were gloss black or semi-gloss black. Or what in your opinion looks better.
Going with original Red. (did a test spray of color the other day, was worried color is too dull red and orangish... But it looks great! Never seen it other than online, I love the look of it! Can't wait too paint. Also would Single stage be a good decision on those? Plan of BC/CC on rest of truck.
DSC_9913-min.JPG

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:10 pm

Re: Running boards color

Not really sure either,but I would use what looks best for you. Doubt anyone would know or care either way at this point. Personally, I would go with semi-gloss and a clear topcoat. Gives a nice shine without that fresh paint "brassy" look you get using gloss/clear, but that's just my take. Again, please do what works for you. I use an aluminum step plate on the running board to avoid them getting scratched in a hurry. That red looks awesome, has to give you another 4-5 mph at least!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:04 pm

I have had 14 of the L&R IHC pickups every one of them had faded black runningboards. My Dad's new 1953 R120 came with shinny black runningboards.
When I rebuilt and re-engined Dad's "R" I changed the running board's colour to Ford ARGENT. Argent means silver. It took ten years for the paint on the runningboard to wear through the argent. The PPG DP40 primer did not wear through for another decade.
I drove this "R" for 20 years and 225,000 miles. The V8 Diesel/C6 automatic and Gearvendors overdrive, DANA 60 4X4 axles, NP205 xfer-case. allowed the "R" to reach 90 mph. ,
I thought this was a happy colour and I think it compliments most colours other than grey. I painted the window trim, panels above the windshield, dashboard, seat frame, tilt steering column and bumpers to match.
Attachments
R120 6.9.jpg
This is what the under-hood looks like with a 6.9 Diesel installed.
R120 dash SW.jpg
R120 power windows and locks and AC.jpg
OUR R 120 4X4.jpg
R120 in 1991 (2).jpg
Dad's Funeral day.jpg
The last time Dad's "R" was seen with black runningboards It was his funeral.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:05 pm

You should do what looks right to you, but if you're asking for thoughts - I took mine to Line-X and had them spray the tread portion, black, back to the seam, then I sprayed gloss black single stage up the splash portion. Sets off the body color, and I haven't had to worry about scratches.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:18 pm

The original post asked: Hey guys, Does anyone know if the original running boards were gloss black or semi-gloss black. Or what in your opinion looks better.
I agree with a person selecting the colour they like. For some this might be pink with turquoise bathtub anti skid stickies.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:08 am

Original running boards would have been the same black as frame, splash aprons, bumper brackets, wheels, horn,etc. My guess is it would have been even flatter than semi-gloss. As others have suggested, unless you are doing back-to-original, use what you like best. Good luck.

Return to K and KB