Green diamond oil filter

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: Green diamond oil filter

Hi Bedrock. Yup, I found the holes in the interior tube. Now it makes a little mor sense. I could not find a sock filter to fit so I opted for a NOS Champion refill cartridge. I've cleaned up, sanded and painted the canister and will go to work installing can and tubing over the weekend , after the grandchildren's hockey games.

Thanks All for the help,
BK

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:42 am

Bobby K1 wrote: I could not find a sock filter to fit so I opted for a NOS Champion refill cartridge. I've cleaned up, sanded and painted the canister and will go to work installing can and tubing over the weekend , after the grandchildren's hockey games.

Thanks All for the help,
BK

Can you explain what you mean by this? A Deluxe housing CAN NOT take a cartridge type filter and work properly. Michiana filter housings take a cartridge filter but are built different and the elements are not interchangeable.
Deluxe used a sock (depth media) and Michiana used a paper cartridge. You roll the sock on a hard surface to stuff it in the housing then the top "colander" presses down and expands the sock to fill the housing.
I have one truck with the Michiana and two engines with the Deluxe. I have found it hard to find a Michiana cartridge, I think Baldwin is one of the few that had them.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:59 am

I ended up at Then and Now Auto Parts where they brought a sock filter to the counter that was too wide to get into the can. The counter guy then brought, from old stock, a Champion filter from Champion Laoratories, Meriden, Conn. marked C-100. It fit in the can with little to spare on the sides an came even with the top of the housing. What I planned to do was remove the sock umbrella and put a small coil spring in to hold it in place as I've seen when using solid elements.

Maybe I jumped the gun being ignorant to the fact that the sock could be rolled into submission.

Please let me know if I am going in the wrong direction.

Thanks,
Bob

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:42 am

Leave the "umbrella" and it will compress the sock to fill the container.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi again corn binder. I'm back from hockey obligations. The metal cartridge filter fits snugly in the housing but the cover will not go on with the umbrella attached and that is why I removed it and will add a coil spring to take it's place and hold down the metal filter refill.

Do you think this will work or should I just wait to find a sock filter I can stuff in ? Got another question; when I was cleaning everything there was a blockage inside the bottom filler hole that I cleared. It turned out to be a flat ,round metal blank , like a slug that would have blocked the flow into the filter housing. Ever seen that ?

Thanks,
Bob K

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:18 pm

Look close and see if it had a small hole in it. I don't have a GRD but the Deluxe filter on the BLD is similar. Since the filters in question are all bypass filters (very little oil is supplied from the main oil gallery, is filtered through a filter and dumped back into the pan) you need a restriction or there will be no oil pressure. This is very different than oil filters that have been installed on most cars since the 50's, which are full flow (meaning all the oil from the oil pump must pass thru the filter before getting to the engine).
The filter media in a bypass filter can be very restrictive because the filter doesn't have to pass much oil and you have full pressure on one side and an open line to the sump on the other. Full flow filter can't be as restrictive or it will starve the engine for oil.
There is no cartridge filter that will fit and work in the Deluxe housing designed for the "sock" type filter. The filter media has to the correct type for the type of filter and fit the housing in the correct way. The element would have to seal top and bottom on the center tube, be a depth type media designed for bypass filtering, and have enough room around the outside to allow the filtered oil to drain back to the sump. Just getting the element into the canister means nothing.
You could just leave the filter off, plug the line and the engine will be ok. These are "add on" filters and they do help, but are not required.
Bypass filter are a much finer filter (pass smaller particles) Full flow filters are much courser filter (pass bigger particles) but filter all the oil. Placing a full flow element in a bypass housing gives you almost no filtration, It only filters part of the oil to a much courser standard then either a correct bypass or a full flow. The best systems use both bypass and full flow filters to keep the oil as clean as possible.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:07 pm

So..if I find that the little slug I knocked out has a small portal in it then I need to put it back in somehow in order or the filter to work and to maintain oil pressure ?

Bob

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:40 pm

Ok I've got the little inlet restrictor plate back in the housing and everything re-painted. I've seen pics of the outlet tube hooked up to the lower threaded passage nearest the oil pan , to the right of the oil filler tube ,and I've also seen pics of it hooked to the upper passage above that.

Anybody know for sure which one is the pressure before I run it to find out ?

Thanks,
BK

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:58 pm

You can buy those sock filters at most NAPA's 1002 is the base number, most parts stores should have. O'Reilly Auto Parts is 51002

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:35 am

Besq,Thanks for the filter #s .

BK
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB