Aluminum radiator

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:45 pm

Re: Aluminum radiator

Filled er up with antifreeze / water mix good to minus 20 degrees. Non pressure cap, water not quite topped off. Waited until it was up to temp and took a 15 mile ride where it maintained just over 160 degrees according to the Guage. No leaks, no spill overs, no new radiator..I'm happy.

BK

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:25 pm

My KB-2 with the 214 engine has A four blade fan and A fan shroud. It also runs at 160 degrees with A non pressure cap. I think the shroud was A extra cost option. However I can't find it in the MT-52C parts manual.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi Goose, I've seen four bladed fans advertised for KB1 and I've also seen many pics with the propeller like mine. Interesting old trucks.

BK

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:44 pm

4 blade fan and no shroud on my truck, but again the wrong radiator was in it so if it had a shroud at some point it may have gotten "lost" along the way. Just an FYI about the Champion radiator if anyone else decides to run one. Mine came with a 13 lb. cap. I didn't notice it and ran the truck a few times with that cap on it until it blew one of the freeze plugs out of the side of the block. There's not much holding those welch plugs in there so the extra pressure was obviously enough to pop one out. The local Napa didn't have any zero pressure radiator caps, so I checked out Tractor Supply. There were no zero lb. caps either, but I found one there for an old Ford tractor (can't remember the model) but it was rated at 4 psi. It's been on the truck for 2 years now with no issues.
'48 KB-1 Service Truck, '96 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins Dually Flatbed
'55 Willys CJ5 Jeep, '49 Chevy 3600 Deluxe
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi Southtowns. I bought a non pressure cap from Then and Now Auto Supply in Weymouth, Ma. WWW.then-now.com. 781-335-1925. I had to release the locking tabs a slight amount with a pair of pliers to turn it onto the fill neck. It has a gasket under the top of the cap so just the slight relief allows it to fit very well. Just a plain old cap but no pressure and looks kind of period correct.

BK

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:06 pm

a KB likes the water about one knuckle down from the top, if you fill all the way it will blow off till it gets to it's sweet spot, you really don't need a overflow tank if you keep it at that level,
'
BTW I bought that aluminum rad off ePay for a hunert bucks, it will look pretty in the garage till I need it.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:18 pm

garage heck. I am storing my parts in the dining room! they just get in the way in the garage...
Previous

Return to K and KB