KB6 Clutch

The old and reliable.

Hal

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:13 pm

Re: KB6 Clutch

Thanks for all the info! I'm going backward and finding more problems. I think the clutch is OK, but even if not I now need to fix the brakes. I had to grind off most of the bolts to get the floor pan off, but still can't get that out as the heater is in the way. Maybe I'll just take the tin snips to it as its largely rusted away anyway.

I filled the master cyl. reservoir to the top and pumped the hell out the brakes with no resistance whatsoever, so I must be pumping air. Please walk me through the steps to fix the brakes. Take the master cyl. off first? Are there slave cylinders? I see no signs of leakage at any of the wheels.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Musta missed this thread?

I have a list for clutches so if you need one post the size,(likely 12").

On to the brakes, does the truck have a hydrovac? If so you can pump the pedal 'til the cows come home and it won't do a thing. There's a specific procedure for bleeding brakes that have an H-vac that MUST be followed.

SO,before going any further and posting info that's already been posted (numerous times) I'll post a pic of the HV type the truck should have,look under the cab on the inside of the DS frame rail and see if there's one of these...

If there is, I'll post a link to the applicable thread. Makes no sense to repost it all once again.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Scottso wrote:Musta missed this thread?

I have a list for clutches so if you need one post the size,(likely 12").

On to the brakes, does the truck have a hydrovac? If so you can pump the pedal 'til the cows come home and it won't do a thing. There's a specific procedure for bleeding brakes that have an H-vac that MUST be followed.

SO,before going any further and posting info that's already been posted (numerous times) I'll post a pic of the HV type the truck should have,look under the cab on the inside of the DS frame rail and see if there's one of these...

If there is, I'll post a link to the applicable thread. Makes no sense to repost it all once again.

on a KB-6 the hydro-vac is located outside the frame rail on passenger side under the door, 4 bolts hold on the access panel over it,

IMG_2310.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks Jon,don't recall if I knew that or not,I'll remember it now though.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Hal

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks. I will look tomorrow if its not raining.

Hal

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:19 pm

No nothing like that. There is just a cylinder about 4-5 inches long and an inch in diameter with a single tube coming out from the top and going aft.
Should I take a pic of it?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:23 pm

Hal wrote:No nothing like that. There is just a cylinder about 4-5 inches long and an inch in diameter with a single tube coming out from the top and going aft.
Should I take a pic of it?

Yep,

Hal

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:58 am

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k283/ ... 1412517138

This is what I see there. Does not look like a hydrovac. Next move to get the brakes to come up? I pumped the brakes more and still no resistance.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:06 am

I can't see enough from that picture to know what I'm looking at. Sorry.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:30 am

Hal wrote:http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k283/Halpics_bucket/001_zps7ffdf76c.jpg?t=1412517138

This is what I see there. Does not look like a hydrovac. Next move to get the brakes to come up? I pumped the brakes more and still no resistance.

that is the nose end of your hydrovac, look at scottso's picture, you can see that "tube continues back to the vac chamber,

on a side, if you have no leaks and no resistance, chances are your master cylinder has internal leak and needs replacement/rebuild, what happens is someone steps on the brake peddle with low/no fluid in master, plunger travels past normal working zone into crusty zone, shreds the rubber seal instantly, thus no resistance,

my Dad made me help him bleed the brakes on his 41 caddie 5 times, until he Finally believed me the master was bad.
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB