GRD 214 ring & bearing numbers?

The old and reliable.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:23 pm

GRD 214 ring & bearing numbers?

Well, my new-to-me GRD 214 started making terrible sounds today. I was cruising on flat ground at about 40 MPH when it suddenly just started knocking away....LOUD. Fortunately I was less than 1/2 mile from home so I coasted in. It still has oil pressure and at idle sounds perfectly fine. When I rev it, it bangs until I let off the throttle and it quiets right up, so it's likely a rod bearing I'm thinking. I'm going to drop the pan in the morning and see what I can see. I've searched around a bit on the interwebs, but I can't find any kind of listings or part numbers for rings, main or rod bearings. I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst, so I want to know what I'm looking at for parts before I tear into it...
'48 KB-1 Service Truck, '96 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins Dually Flatbed
'55 Willys CJ5 Jeep, '49 Chevy 3600 Deluxe
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: GRD 214 ring & bearing numbers?

Obviously I haven't heard the sound myself....but based on your description it sounds to me like it might be clutch/flywheel-related. Check that too. I'd check that out before I'd drop the pan.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Well I pulled the engine apart today and found all kinds of bad things. The #1 rod bearing was completely wiped out but not spun. Every bearing in the engine shows damage and a lot of metal/dirt embedment. Every top piston compression ring was broken and as a result, the bores are in really bad shape with a huge ridge. The crank is already cut .010/.020 rods/mains and it's already bored .030 over. The truck sat for 32 years and was recently pulled out and got running again (not by me) but by the looks of things all the wear and damage happened before it was parked. I drove the truck about 40 miles before it gave up, so it was probably just it's time.
Anyway, I have had very little success finding parts for this thing. The crank probably needs to go .020/.030 and it needs to be bored .060 at least. Are parts even available from some secret source that I don't know about? Am I just plain screwed? Should I just look for another runner and bolt it in? (If you have one let me know anyway!) Thanks in advance

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:31 pm

Think I saw where someone said they sleeved their 214. Parts are out there, just not Cheap or easy to find, generally cheaper to find another motor.

Just my thoughts

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:29 pm

Southtowns27 wrote:Well I pulled the engine apart today and found all kinds of bad things. The #1 rod bearing was completely wiped out but not spun. Every bearing in the engine shows damage and a lot of metal/dirt embedment. Every top piston compression ring was broken and as a result, the bores are in really bad shape with a huge ridge. The crank is already cut .010/.020 rods/mains and it's already bored .030 over. The truck sat for 32 years and was recently pulled out and got running again (not by me) but by the looks of things all the wear and damage happened before it was parked. I drove the truck about 40 miles before it gave up, so it was probably just it's time.
Anyway, I have had very little success finding parts for this thing. The crank probably needs to go .020/.030 and it needs to be bored .060 at least. Are parts even available from some secret source that I don't know about? Am I just plain screwed? Should I just look for another runner and bolt it in? (If you have one let me know anyway!) Thanks in advance

go to searchtempest.com or statewidelist.com and start searching, I scour International nationwide, I've seen GRD engines and full chassis for sale cheap, but I'm not looking for one so I haven't saved any ads,

you'll find one, lots of guys are hotrodding these now, lots of stock running gear out there for cheep
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:33 pm

New engine parts are expensive...however I have found that you can get lucky and score whole engines for nearly nothing. Not many people lining up to buy flathead 6's. I gave about $100 for the one that's in my truck now and its a good strong engine. I do still have my original engine, however I am not planning on parting with it just yet.

Check your local craigslist periodically - they do show up.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:35 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention - there's a junkyard that parts old cars on eBay. They're parting out several KBs on there right now. There's at least 3 214's on there right now. Problem is they sell them in pieces. I have bought some stuff from them though and they'll make you a package deal. I know there's a few good blocks and cranks on there right now.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:36 pm

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks for all the advice so far... At this point I'm thinking that finding another running engine is the way to go. What's the difference, if any, between the HD213 and the GRD214? I know the 213 is older, before the "Green Diamond" name came out, but is it actually the same engine?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:44 am

Well, good luck on finding another running engine. Your best bet in my opinion, is to rebuild. Get ready for sticker shock on the parts and gasket sets. They are out there. Tom Underwood has pistons, rings, etc.

The grd213 and grd 233 are the same basic engine except for the crank and the harmonic balancer. I believe there may be a difference in the piston height as well, but I am still researching that.
Next

Return to K and KB