Carb numbers,

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 03, 2024 5:32 pm

Carb numbers,

Looked at the three 269's I have. The two later 40's have the correct number BBR that Carbking's list shows it should have, the '42 has a Zenith that comes back to a FAC 241! All could do with a overhaul, but not sure if I should stick with the "incorrect" Zenith. I wonder how it got there. Not much different between a FAC and BLD 269. I might just "run what I brought".

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat May 04, 2024 7:48 pm

Re: Carb numbers,

Just picked up the IHC shoptalks that cover the Zenith and Carter Carbs. Should have some good info.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 20, 2024 6:56 pm

Re: Carb numbers,

I picked up a "core" Zenith 228 that was an IHC number correct "replacement" carb with adjustable main metering jet. Lots of white powder inside and the accelerator pump was seized in the bore. The Zenith I took off my '42 has the accelerator pump check valve that is seized in the main body and will not come out with a slide hammer (factory method for removing).
I wanted to have another carb to experiment on before I tackled the original.
I drilled in the bottom of the passage that the check valve and accelerator pump is in. I then took a small punch and drove the check and seized accelerator pump out. To re seal the hole I used a lead sinker from my hardware store. Today the replacement check valves came and I re assembled the "core" carb. I got it installed and started the adjustment process. Truck runs great and the idle mixture and speed is set. I'll have to pull the plugs a "read" them to see if I have got the main metering correct.
Next up is to drill the original carburetor and drive out the bad check, then build back up.
Then I have 2 Carter BBR's to overhaul and 2 AC fuel pumps to do.
Attachments
CIMG4064.JPG
two Zenith carb bodies and arrow showing the drilled passage

Return to K and KB