pinion seal-Im stumped

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu May 18, 2023 11:55 am

pinion seal-Im stumped

A while ago I posted asking about the pinion seal for a '47 KB1. With some help I thought I had identified the correct seal and ordered one from Old IH Trucks, # 57272-H. The shop that is rebuilding the rear axle called and said the pinion seal doesn't fit...it's too thick. They showed me the original which is from Chicago Rawhide part #57272-H. It doesn't look like the one I ordered, even though that part # is also 57272-H, according to the receipt. Anybody have any insight? If they're both the same part # why are they different. The thicker one can't be a direct replacement, can it?

Allen
Attachments
DSCN0091a.jpg
19146_237621.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 18, 2023 3:08 pm

Re: pinion seal-Im stumped

the original one is a long obsolete felt seal,
the one they sent you is a modern version rubber seal, the rubber one Should press into the place old one went, I forget if there is a retainer C clip to hold original felt seal in, but you wouldn't use it for this one.

but that newer one shouldn't be an issue as long as outer and inner diameters are the same, if it slightly sticks proud from the housing the pinion has enough shoulder area that it shouldn't matter,
other option is get hold of a National seal catalog and look up the same diameters with a less wide mount shoulder and buy one of those
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu May 18, 2023 3:57 pm

Re: pinion seal-Im stumped

Thanks for the insight. I trust the guy doing the work...he's been very reliable in the past. I'll pass along that the new one is indeed correct, even though it's thicker. He did say that it could possibly work; that he wouldn't know for certain until he installed the pinion, but he thought the original felt seal would be a better option. I did find a nos one online, but I'd prefer to use new. The felt on a NOS is still 70 years old.

Allen

Return to K and KB