Torque for oil pan bolts

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:01 pm

Torque for oil pan bolts

I will be dropping the oil pan on my GRD214 engine to correct an oil leak. I have not found a reference in the owners manual for the torque for the oil pan bolts. Also as to sealing the pan, Olson’s Gaskets rep said that normally the gasket can be installed without any additional sealer but that if the pan has become distorted or the bolt hole openings are misshaped that a very small bead of RTV BLACK can be applied to the pan side. Does anyone have experience with either of these questions?
Thanks ahead for any help.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:19 am

Re: Torque for oil pan bolts

https://youtu.be/mX775liZ-mc
Black RTV with oil resistant specifications could be used on both sides of the gasket. Do not apply so much product that it will squish into the pan and find its way to the oil-pickup and plug the screen.
Starting with a flat pan mating surface is very important. The torque value for the 5/16" bolts should be 7-8 pound feet but never over 10# '.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:03 am

Re: Torque for oil pan bolts

Thank you nikkinutshop. There is never a better source than experience. The forum and you guys that have been there, done that and are willing to share have been a huge help to me and many others. Thanks again.

Return to K and KB