Front fender repair

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:18 am

Front fender repair

1949 KB1. After the holidays my mission is to repair/paint the four fenders. I have been using the truck for a couple of years with the rear fenders repaired and then primed. It is now time to finish what I started and address the front fenders and hood.
I have yet to remove the front fenders and am looking for suggestions for the best way. My plan is to remove the hood at the same time but I want to leave the radiator in place so I can run the engine and hopefully tweak the valve lash on one or two lifters.
I have not yet mastered posting pictures but I certainly appreciate looking at them.
Fenders will be a color other than body and don’t know where the color separation will come between hood and fenders.

As usual I very much appreciate any help you folks can give me.

ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS,
Bobby K

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:04 pm

Re: Front fender repair

the lower splash pan behind the bottom of the grill is part of the radiator cradle,

the shop manual recommended way to remove front clip is running board bolts, the top rear of fender cowl bolts to body, leave rubber bushing part alone, the X brace,
the lower radiator cradle braces, two bolts at bottom of cradle thru frame cross member, radiator hoses, and wiring from junction block on grill top.
entire front clip lifts off truck, a 2 person job, pictures in the shop manual.

you can remove a fender at a time but bolts are hidden by radiator cradle brackets, if you want to leave the radiator you have to remove slot head bolts at bottom of grill holding the splash pan, can be challenging as you have to remove hood latch assembly and reach down into back of grill and hope slotted screws don't strip.

best to remover entire front clip per shop manual and then disassemble.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to K and KB