'48 KB1

The old and reliable.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:50 am

'48 KB1

Hi Guys! Its been awhile since Ive logged on to see your posts. You guys have been so helpful to me in the past and I appreciate you all. Ive been driving it but staying local because everytime I would notice something I would write is down. It took me a long time to find a mechanic but
recently found a gentleman who spent most of his life living and breathing trucks (although not real familiar with International!). I am lucky to find him. The long awaited meeting resulted in a list of items needed. He wants me to get the parts and then he will do the work.

I was hoping to find a trustworthy supplier that is located in New England (I am in Massachusetts). Hoping you guys can direct me.

Needs

Steering arm, Front and rear main seals, Timing cover gasket, Exhaust collector donut, Disk parking brake shoes/pads

There is also a list of wants but I will save that for later.

Thank you!
Kate

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:56 pm

Re: '48 KB1

I went back and read over most of your posts. I wonder if you ever installed a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear axle under your KB. Please do not be afraid to use the Ford 8.8. It may not be original, but, the 8.8 is so much improved over the OEM. AND there are parts and many gear ratios. If your OE axle is a 4:18 a nice upgrade to a 3:73 will improve the drivability of your truck. The wheel bolt pattern is the same as the original IHC.
I installed an 8.8 in my 1940 Ford car.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:30 pm

Gasket set can be found here. https://www.olsonsgaskets.com/gaskets/i ... -cylinder/

Brake pads and E-brake pads can just be relined. https://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com ... lining.htm Best bet.
New drums here. https://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-2316R- ... B005JCPY1Y
Exhaust donut. https://www.amazon.com/Exhaust-Collecto ... B085CDHCZ2 Can't remember if 2 inch or 2.5...

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:35 am

Thank you for your replies guys.

Yes thank you Thomas, I was able to find a KB rear end from a great guy in Marshfield, Massachusetts named Bob. The axle was installed last spring

The seals a re leaking so I have tried not to drive it too far.

Thank you Wylie for the parts resources.

I found a local parts resource in Wakefield, MA. He said he needs the engine number before he sends any parts because there are no returns.

I am still looking for the steering arm.

Kate

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:06 am

Good Morning,

Pat Walsh Restorations in Massachusetts can supply some (NOS) parts I need but he needs the engine number.

Is KB1 steering arm a hard to find item? NOS or other?

Thank you
Kate

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:17 pm

New linings for your “e” brake ring on the rear of your transmission can be done by Then and Now Automotive at 44 Washington Street, Weymouth, Ma 02188. 781-335-8860. They also rebuild fuel pumps in-house.

The Ford 8.8 rear end is certainly a good upgrade . The spring perches will need to be swapped and the driveshaft refitted but if you can find one with drum brakes you can still use the existing brake system without need for a proportioning valve. The one I used was from a Ford Explorer , I think it was from the late 90’s and the width was right. Brake parts fit from several years.

Have fun but don’t speed around any corners.

Bob K

Return to K and KB