oil filter adapter?

The old and reliable.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:57 am

oil filter adapter?

Has anyone converted the original oil filter set up on the GD to a spin-on type? I'd be interested in knowing how it was done.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: oil filter adapter?

Easy to do, Go to any filter mfg catalog and look up their filter base for a bypass spin-on filter, buy the base and a correct bypass filter for it and put in place of the canister. I prefer cartridge filters for the ease of disposal, spin-on's are not supposed to put in the trash.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:32 am

I didn't know if it needed a specific filter size to handle a certain volume of oil flow.
I had never heard that you can't put a spin-on in the trash. Where else can they go? No one around here takes them and they recycle pretty much everything in my town.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:35 am

It is supposed to be crushed, all oil squeezed out then it can go in the trash. Ask at a local auto shop if they will take old filters or what they do with them. It is the reason I stopped doing my own oil changes on my Semi's. Most commerical shops have a filter compactor, smaller shops use a service that collects and compacts them. The idea is that oil filters take up a lot of space in landfills and they want to reduce the chance of waste oil getting into the water table. Canister elements can be burned in a stove or fireplace, any metal recovered and thrown out or recycled.
As to oil filter size, the filter mfg useally lists an aprox applictation by sump size and a gal/min spec. The filter head will have the restriction in it, it is not just the filter itself that restricts flow.
I'm of the mind to install a "spinner" centifical filter. I've seen 1st hand how well these work. There are several sizes, one small enough for the GRD, and they have a flow cut-off, that maintaines at least 30 psi (doesn't open to the filter at low RPM) TF Hudgins is the USA distributor of these type filters.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:33 am

Interesting concept CB89!

http://www.dieselproducts.com/spinner/sp_works.html

Sounds like on a big diesel it's designed to work with the existing filter?

http://www.tfhudgins.com/spinner-ii-flu ... ntrifuges/

John

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:13 pm

i am not sure the size of the filter has that much to do with the volume. I have an F150 with the new 5.0 litre, the oil capacity is 7.71 quarts (i find that a bit odd), and the filter is the smallest of the rest of my vehicles, except my son's focus, and its about the same size.

in texas, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has rules about disposing oil and filters, for those of you in the lone star state.
http://www.tceq.texas.gov/permitting/re ... cling.html

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:13 pm

suprjohn wrote:Interesting concept CB89!

http://www.dieselproducts.com/spinner/sp_works.html

Sounds like on a big diesel it's designed to work with the existing filter?

http://www.tfhudgins.com/spinner-ii-flu ... ntrifuges/

John

SJ,
The orignal design is English, and the buses I worked on had them as their only filter. The dirt would cake so hard you had to scrape it out. In this country they are marketed primarly as a add-on bypass filter. On the buses (and most of our old trucks) there is only a bypass filter and the engines last just fine. Britt's like to use them for just about anything that needs to be filtered.
The units marketed to trucks have a air pressure return (in that the oil that passes thru the filter gets forced back to the sump with air pressure). This allows the filter to be located anywhere near the engine. If you look hard enough, TF Hudgins also sells "industrial" units that use gravity to return to the sump. These must be placed with a easy return to the sump with no U bends. I often thought that you could, with a little (ok lot) work, mount it directly to the old bypass oil filter adaptor on a SD or BLD engine.
If I ever have $200 or so burning a hole in my pocket, I might try fitting one to my BLD.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:15 pm

I saw a few Belarus tractors (imported from Russia)in the early '80s that had a centrifugal oil filter. They were mounted high and toward the front of the engine near the water pump.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Return to K and KB