Original or updated powertrain???

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Original or updated powertrain???

Can't speak for the light trucks but the -6 and -7 have great brakes, no trouble handling 18K lbs at 55 mph. (been there, did that). With the heavyer K's gearing and power are the issues, they'll do 55-60 stock but lack hill climbing at those speeds. If you can up the power you can slow the engine and make it turn more comfortable speeds at 60 or even higher.
If money isn't a big obstacle, I would contact Keystone turbo about turboing a BLD. There built stout enough to take it and are already low enough compression to make good use of the added capacity of a turbo.
Using the stock engine and trans free's up money and time to be spent on using the extra power, and goes a long way to mitigating the price of a turbo kit over a drivetrain swap.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:33 pm

agreed on brakes, my KB-6 will put you thru the windshield if you stomp on the brakes, mine steers just fine too as long as you are moving a little at least,

but motor is weak especially loaded and pulling a grade, it will go up alright but not very fast at all, like get out and walk faster than the truck fast.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:47 am

Great thoughts and responses, guys!

I truly want to keep the drivetrain original. I also (at some point) would like to tow the KB1 to shows with the KB6. Granted this is far down the line. I think I will get both rigs tuned up and driving under their own power, and see what my thoughts are after I put some miles on them.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:52 am

I have an original '48 KB-1, all original drivetrain with the 4 speed. It's almost scary to drive it around here. The idiots will either pass you at 70 miles an hour or flip you off because you're going too slow so they can't get their Starbucks coffee.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:12 am

Four Paws wrote:Great thoughts and responses, guys!

I truly want to keep the drivetrain original. I also (at some point) would like to tow the KB1 to shows with the KB6. Granted this is far down the line. I think I will get both rigs tuned up and driving under their own power, and see what my thoughts are after I put some miles on them.

Always a good idea to get some time in before making changes.
I towed my Ford explorer to the Auburn, IN ATHS show behind one of my K-7's. Hardly knew it was back there. Also towed a 9670 cab backwards 150 miles, and it DID know that was behind it!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:59 pm

I am running a Chevy 235 straight six cylinder in my KB1. I have a Chevy 4 speed transmission and Chevy Nova rear axle with 3.55 gears. It runs along pretty nice at 55 mph. Perfect for running around the local area and going to shows. I have had it up to 70mph once with plenty left but the stock suspension and brakes it is not something you want to do very often or in heavy traffic. It is not going to be an Interstate Highway driver. I think keeping a straight six makes fitting the engine easier than a V8 swap.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:18 am

Duane WI wrote:I am running a Chevy 235 straight six cylinder in my KB1. I have a Chevy 4 speed transmission and Chevy Nova rear axle with 3.55 gears. It runs along pretty nice at 55 mph. Perfect for running around the local area and going to shows. I have had it up to 70mph once with plenty left but the stock suspension and brakes it is not something you want to do very often or in heavy traffic. It is not going to be an Interstate Highway driver. I think keeping a straight six makes fitting the engine easier than a V8 swap.

^^^agreed^^^ that's why I use the International SD motor from the 50s. no frame cutting to install, and reversible back to stock if desired,

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:45 pm

I agree that some drivers can be jerks. Drove the '48 KB3 recently and got some thumbs up and middle fingers too. Yes it was a bit scary. No longer than 4 miles...had truck die 3 times at a coast, once when turning in heavy traffic. So I made the hard decision and am in process of updating drive train. I also am sure the water pump is bad (truck was way hot in engine bay -- gauge not working.) The generator is also dead. Long story short -- GRD214 to 350 SBC, more recent 4-speed (like my Dad's 70's Chevy truck) and all the accessories. Engine and tranny are our and SBC is about ready. Actually can't wait to get driving! Probably another couple of months. Hector 1948 KB3 El Paso
Hector R. hrivas01
1948 KB3 Flatbed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:12 pm

hrivas01 wrote:I agree that some drivers can be jerks. Drove the '48 KB3 recently and got some thumbs up and middle fingers too. Yes it was a bit scary. No longer than 4 miles...had truck die 3 times at a coast, once when turning in heavy traffic. So I made the hard decision and am in process of updating drive train. I also am sure the water pump is bad (truck was way hot in engine bay -- gauge not working.) The generator is also dead. Long story short -- GRD214 to 350 SBC, more recent 4-speed (like my Dad's 70's Chevy truck) and all the accessories. Engine and tranny are our and SBC is about ready. Actually can't wait to get driving! Probably another couple of months. Hector 1948 KB3 El Paso

what are you doing to address steering column/box clearance with that SBC?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:51 pm

I have a 1949 KBS-5 with the GRD-233. I kept it stock, full well knowing what it will and won't do. The split rear-end helps a bit, but 55 MPH is about tops. It likes 45 MPH much better. Hills, I have yet to pull a long one without dropping the rear end into low, in 4th. If it is steep enough, I hit 3rd in high range in the rear. In any case, I suffer from the idiot drivers too. No turning signals on mine, all hand signals. People seem to think I am waving at them :t0130: ..............so I solved the problem. If I go anywhere longer than 1-2 miles, I have a "chase" car behind me. sigh. Kinda sad the world we now live in........................... :t0116:
PreviousNext

Return to K and KB