Looking for parts & advice

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:39 am

Looking for parts & advice

I recently bought a 1946 k-1. After a few minor repairs, I am now using it as my daily driver and I could not be happier.

My fuel gauge will not work. I have two instrument clusters. It will not work in either. I assume it is the fuel tank sending unit. Can anyone tell me where to find a compatible unit?
I would love to get a passenger side mirror. I have the hinge pin style on the driver side. If anyone knows where to hunt one down that would be great.
The tailgate that came with the truck is basically shredded with rust. If anyone know where to find one that would be helpful.

When I bought the truck the windshield was sealed to the cab with silicone and some kind of RV roof sealant. I have managed to free the windshield frame and install the proper gasket in the groove. I am lucky enough, the rust broke free from the crank and hinges. Now the window opens and closes as it should. When the windshield is closed all the way there is some lift in the lower corners in front of the driver and passenger. Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone offer a proper solution?
My first thought is to take a bar clamp, tighten slowly until the frame seats. It seems that might be a great way to break the frame or the glass.
Is there a second gasket that should sit on the inside of the window frame?

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks
Attachments
10408143_10152762594067734_117859810155169289_n.jpg
11018927_10152762594117734_8215295838757325295_n.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:35 am

Re: Looking for parts & advice

only the stock fuel tank sender will talk to the stock gauge, Well maybe early Ford as it's KIng Seeley too. I'm not sure though.

sometimes you can save the one in the tank, they get stuck in one position if you are lucky, NOS ones RARELY come up on ePay.

passenger mirror bracket has been reproduced and is available, (have to find the link here somewhere)

tailgates are made of unobtainium, Rarely ever show up, I am going to ask my GMC buddy to measure his to see if they are close,
as GMC are reproduced, not the exact same looking but very close.

don't know about your frame, do NOT try to bend it, you can adjust upper hinges a little maybe they need to come out some?

a detail pic might help, Nice looking truck.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:55 pm

Okay, I see what you are talking about adjusting there. In next to the wiper motor, on the hinge there. Looks like both sides want to go up 1/8th of an inch or so.
Attachments
DSC_2962.jpg
DSC_2959.jpg
DSC_2956.jpg
DSC_2951.jpg
DSC_2947.jpg
DSC_2946.jpg
DSC_2945.jpg
DSC_2944.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:10 pm

if you look at the other two bolts that face upward, those allow hinge assembly to slide in or out.

if you raise your windshield up you may need to let it out a little at the top if it binds when you open it,

a little movement goes a long way, but if you get it right it is a water tight seal with no added goop.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:24 pm

Rfkphoto

"My fuel gauge will not work. I have two instrument clusters. It will not work in either. I assume it is the fuel tank sending unit. Can anyone tell me where to find a compatible unit?"

Mac auto parts (MacsAutoParts.com) has fuel tank sending units for Ferd/Merc's... they too used King-Sealy gauges...
I used MAC p/n 64-20528... NOTE: they may also refer to it as p/n 32-20528.....

I got mine thru Tri Starr LLC, they identified it using p/n M3V-467-B.... part arrived in a MAC's auto parts box using p/n 64-20528....
or 99A-9275... Charged me 99.00, whereas MAC's sells it for 37.50.... go figure, (sic) wouldn't want to pay retail anyway.....

PMH

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:46 pm

My question-did it work? Sending units for these trucks seem to be problematic. I tried the one from Mac's and it didn't work but maybe I did something wrong. These sending units seem to be quite unique in these trucks. I don't think the fact that both trucks, Ford and IHC used king-seeley means one size fits all or that they all work the same.- Stickman207

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Thanks for the tip on the adjustment bolts bedrockjon. I tried to figure out the alignment today, I'll need to spend more time with it another day. I was trying to adjust it with the frame on. I think I need to remove the frame make an adjustment then return the frame. I am thinking pushing out at the top will push in at the bottom? I'll have to see how this all goes together. It works well enough until it rains.

Thanks for the info on the sending unit flying bum. I'll have to save that for next week I think. Do I need to pull the tank to swap out the sending unit?

The truck is almost entirely stock to my knowledge. The stock sending unit should help. Yes Stickman207 the previous owner said the fuel gauge just stopped working.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:22 am

Pulling your old sender and checking it out as was suggested, might be the first order of business on it. It may have "froze" up and that is why it quit working? Just my thoughts.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:49 am

I was able to repair the sending unit in the tank . If you get it out and get inside it you will see a very thin wire , this wire is/ was connected by an adheasive that over time gives up . I could see where it was connected and re-attached it . you have to press the wire down to make contact then hold it there while your adheasive sets , I think I used JB-quick . I forget how I sealed it back up but I am doing the final wiring in the next couple of days that includes the sending unit and I'm going to check , I remember I was concerned about having an electrical devise in the gas tank .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:15 pm

I had an old sender that is apart . The pencil is pointing at the place where the wire was disconnected on mine , there is a vauge memory of someone telling me that the reason its not sodered is because they considered that it would get to hot and melt the soder , the glue since it was applied in the 40's tends to give up after 60 or 70 years. I think there is something just like this in the gauge , they talk to each other . I am completely amazed that they were able to figure this out and that it works . The wire ,[I hope you can see ] comes from that point and then coils around that square frame looking thing . Hope this helps
Attachments
gas gauge.jpg
Next

Return to K and KB