Heater

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:03 pm

Re: Heater

Combustion air is brought in from the engine compartment and the exhaust is blown out through an another tube that exits on the engine side of the firewall, and is piped away from the cab. The combustion is separate from the heated air.
Look at a modern Espar or Webasto for how it is done.
Anytime fuel is burned carbon monoxide is a concern, but has been done safely for years.
All winter I sleep with an Espar running to keep me and the engine in my semi warm.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Thanks for explaining that.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:42 pm

Hello;
I grew up riding and I learned to drive in a 39 D2 and a 45 Ks5 both having gasoline heaters that worked very well}. They were both in service until the early 60s .
I also was a diesel mechanic for an automobile carrier back in the late 60s and the 70s, I installed some of the first webasto heaters in the United States, the company rep.came to Ohio from Germany to sell and oversea the installation of the diesel fired engine heaters. They did not work out very well, because they used fuel out of the truck fuel tank through a one eighth fuel line. and the fuel jelled very quickly.
In the 80s when I was a owner-operator I in stalled a Webasto bunk heater that worked very well on K1 kerosene , it had an electric fuel pump, I installed a 3 gallon tank for the K1 fuel.
I used that bunk heater for 10 plus years and I was very happy with it.
Don Graves.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:59 am

When I was young, MY folks had am early 60's VW bus with gas heater that worked very well. I worked on English Buses from the 70's that all had Webasto aux heaters that worked well.
I think the change in fuel in recent year has made the 'gelling' problem with heaters is not a big problem, I have never had the heater shut down because of it, even when the engine required a fuel heater to run.
Webasto and Espar sell small fuel tanks if you want to run it on its own tank and fuel.
Aircraft have used fuel powered heaters for years.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:07 pm

Very interesting, thanks for the further info,

I always thought my barn door heater in my KB's were plenty, my KB-1 I had to drive with windows open in the winter as it blew so hot,

I eventually put a inline temp valve, which they didn't have stock back then, my option was off or HOT.

I much prefer the KB heater to the weenie one in the L, R, S, my L-112 panel was an icebox to drive in the winter.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:14 pm

I once took my K-7 on a 900 mile trip in winter, with the leaky old cab, and temps that dropped to -23 at night, and only got to around 0 during the day, found the heater not up to the task. Haveing said that, I suspect a tight cab would have made all the difference. BTW it was 6 volt, and other then one night, when the temp dropped to -23 and I had 15W-40 in the crankcase, started just fine, Had to push start it at -23 but that was more due to the 15w-40 then the 6 volt.
I purchased the heater more as a odd automoblia artifact, then for real need, but think it would be neat to use it as intended.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:15 am

cornbinder89 wrote:Combustion air is brought in from the engine compartment and the exhaust is blown out through an another tube that exits on the engine side of the firewall, and is piped away from the cab. The combustion is separate from the heated air.
Look at a modern Espar or Webasto for how it is done.
Anytime fuel is burned carbon monoxide is a concern, but has been done safely for years.
All winter I sleep with an Espar running to keep me and the engine in my semi warm.

Slept next to some of the Semi's that use the bunk heaters, Those guys slept warm and exhaust free. Not so much for me and my son in our F350 with the three car hauler behind. We usually avoid the "truck" corrals.

Lloyd

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:41 pm

Interesting piece of equipment, for sure. My grandpa's '47 or '48 CJ2A Jeep has an Arctic top that he'd park by the river and sit in out of the rain when fishing. For heat he put in a 10 gallon milk can with a door in the side and a stove pipe up out the neck and out the back of the Arctic top. Plenty of firewood on the beach. When he went home he'd stuff some wet leaves in it and leave a trail of white smoke up the road.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader
Previous

Return to K and KB