GD engine from D-30 to KB

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:30 am

GD engine from D-30 to KB

A forum member near me has a possible donor engine for my KB-2. It's a Green Diamond engine, but it comes from a 1937 D-30.

What would be any issues in transplanting this engine into my truck? I have the bellhousing and transmission from my original engine. I assume that these should be able to transfer over.

Any other "gotchas" I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: GD engine from D-30 to KB

Double check the engines serial number as it will say GRD. A 37 should have come from the factory with an HD flathead 6, not the GRD. They are real close to each other, but are a little different. If some one had to replace the engine in it's life time, they may have put a GRD in it to replace a broken HD.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:15 am

The D30 actually had several different engines available according to the IH parts book. Most were 232's. Mine has the HD232 engine, which is a Black Diamond in my eyes due to the black paint, there is just a triple diamond logo on the block with the word international in the center. I'm not sure what was Heavy Duty about it. The HD232 is just a 213 bored and stroked. Which was originally a willys overland motor at some point in the 30's. FWIW, some trucks were optioned with a 174.

I'm not entirely sure but the Green Diamond 233 didn't appear till '41... I think. But, I have seen a '41 D series truck, maybe a few trucks have them. The pad below the generator will help you decipher what you really have. Lot's of engines have died in these trucks over 75 years so anything could be in there. Does the engine actually have "green diamond" written in the triple diamond logo?

There were some variations in block strength in the generator mounting area of some of the engines.

I'll take the leftovers from the D30!

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:49 pm

the hd is not a black diamond what's so even nor is it are was it ever called are refered to as such.
as to your question as to weather the green diamond says green diamond the fact is the words green diamond are cast right into the motor.
as to the wheelies overland international acutely bought them out as they need them to be able to build there own line of trucks.
so both the hd and the green diamond are based off the earlier while's overland flat head engine and some of the first very early d models actually used the while's engine.
yet prior to the introduction of the d series international used Waukesha engines in there trucks.

next the black diamond is a latter 50s motor and is an over head value engine instead of a flat head motor.

this said allot of parts from the green diamond and the hd will interchange.

yet i am not 100% positive but i believe there are some differences in the trans bell housing and motor mounts.
'yet i believe you can interchange the two between each with using parts from both.

to the op look around for old corn binders/farm equipment and stationary type equipment as international used the grd motor in corn binders as well as other equipment like forklifts stationary type pumps etc.
lastly the grd motor was produced and used in other application's other than the k/b 1 thru 5 up into the early 50s so again look into other things besides just trucks and you maybe suspired what you can come up with.
p.s. if you do not mind traveling to caviler nd i know a guy that can fix you up with a grd series motor.
yet i would have to check with him on price if your interested.
robertkb48

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:05 am

Robert is pretty much spot on. IHC bought the engine design from Willie's (not sure of the date). The GRD base engine was used not only in trucks but also combines and some other applications. There were some minor differences between the truck application and the ag machine application, but the base engine is the same. If my memory serves me correctly (which it sometimes does not), that base engine came in 175 CID, 213 CID and 233 CID. The 175 CID had smaller pistons than the 213 CID, but the same stroke. The 233 CID had the same piston diameter as the 213 CID, but a longer stroke. Otherwise, the base engine configuration was the same. Unfortunately, none of the pistons are interchangeable between the 3 models, and I think only the 175 and 213 shared the same crank (could be wrong). While the pistons are the same diameter on the 213 and the 233, the cranks and wrist ping location on the piston are different. from an engine mounting perspective and the bell housing perspective, they should be the same (again, not 100% sure). Disclaimer: this is all from pure memory, and I would have to refer to the parts and repair manuals to be absolutely sure (which I may do)>

Hope this helps.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Just a note to update everyone. I did pick up this engine, and it is a Green Diamond - the number stamped up under the head starts with GRD, and "Green Diamond" is cast into the side of the block.

I'll be transplanting my bell-housing and transmission onto it. I see I'll also have to change out the front motor mount from my old engine.

Other than that, it looks like it should just drop right in - fingers crossed!

Since it's no longer #%& degrees below zero any more, perhaps I can get working out in the garage again soon.

Thanks everyone for their help and words of wisdom!

Return to K and KB