Double Clutching

The old and reliable.

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:48 am

Double Clutching

Stupid question, and I know I did this when I was a kid but it's been 45+ years since I drove a truck with no synchros. Can someone remind me the proper way to double clutch? I can't seem to get the hang of it on my KB-1.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:21 am

Re: Double Clutching

Demonstrated in an IH L, R, or S model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7JqgBRLXho

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:52 am

Good video ,thanks .As I was waking up this morning I was thinking about trying some dbl. clutching in the field out back , its been a little wet and I haven't been able to do any "test driving" but it has gotten pretty cold and tightened it up some.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:19 am

Do you have a 3 or 4 speed?
My 3 speed is synchronized, no double clutching necessary
'48 KB-1 Service Truck, '96 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins Dually Flatbed
'55 Willys CJ5 Jeep, '49 Chevy 3600 Deluxe
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:38 am

Mine's a 4 speed.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:04 pm

when I bought my 49 KB-1 in 1975 I had never driven a clutch much less a non-syncro tranny,

a lot of grind em till you find em, at first,

what I noticed, and still true with my KB-6 you gotta breath between actions, I would shift too fast even double clutching,

I got a girl friend back then and the grinding bugged her, (the transmission grinding not me) so she would put her hand on the stick shift knob,
I put my hand on hers, it taught me to be more gentle with my shifting action, I know it sounds funny but it did work.

now, when I drive my big truck if I don't let every other driver who is in a hurry bug me, I shift just fine, if I try to speed things up to make them not mad, shifts get rougher.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Good information! I keep looking at my truck and wondering to myself if I'll actually be able drive it when I'm done restoring it. It makes sense but have to think there's a 'feel' to it.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:57 pm

I'm new to the non-syncro world (1948 KB3) and also nash my teeth when shifting. Found the video link explaining the process of double clutching. Truck is in the shop for a once over (just received two weeks ago) so I'll give DC'ing a try. BUT... just to ask, has anyone swapped/updated the tranny to a synco model? Please share ideas/experiences. Thanks! Hector R. (using the R. since I saw another Hector on the site.)
Hector R. hrivas01
1948 KB3 Flatbed

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:12 pm

hrivas01 wrote:I'm new to the non-syncro world (1948 KB3) and also nash my teeth when shifting. Found the video link explaining the process of double clutching. Truck is in the shop for a once over (just received two weeks ago) so I'll give DC'ing a try. BUT... just to ask, has anyone swapped/updated the tranny to a synco model? Please share ideas/experiences. Thanks! Hector R. (using the R. since I saw another Hector on the site.)

I put a T-98 4 speed in my KB-1, it came out of a 67 IHC pick up. but the ones in L, R, S, series should be the same,

the K has bolt holes in the bell housing that line up to direct bolt it up, main issue is the outer flange of collar housing on the input shaft is about 1/8" bigger diameter than the hole in the K bell housing,

you need to take off housing have it turned down to fit opening, then shorten driveline and maybe swap rear yoke, (best route is to get driveline with tranny if possible to use parts as needed),

other than that it is pretty much a direct bolt in, I did it on a few trucks.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:02 pm

Bedrockjon make it sound like a Sunday afternoon job...probably was for him. Thanks! Hector R.
Hector R. hrivas01
1948 KB3 Flatbed
Next

Return to K and KB