Glove Box

The old and reliable.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:14 pm

Glove Box

Anyone have issues with the Glove box replacement from Class-Tech-Cars? Their listing on Ebay for the KB glove box indicates that it is a direct replacement. I ordered one and it did not fit my KB3 without modifications. The mounting Screw holes did not line up and the slot for the windshield adjuster was in the wrong location. I called the seller and he said they have sold hundreds and had no incident of problems with the fit.

JC 8-)
JC

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Re: Glove Box

I have always made my own glove box from aluminum and TIG welded the pieces together. I could not bring myself to spend any money on a pressed paper replacement. It is easy, try it
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:29 pm

I had a glove box from a another kb of different vintage and its holes did not line up with the factory holes in my truck,,,so I determined it was not in that great of shape so I made a glove box out of 20 ga tin with properly aligned holes

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:58 am

I make mine from aluminum and bend edges on the pieces then riveted the pieces together. Another option some guys do is to shop for a plastic waste basket that is the right dimensions and cut off the top portion that has the lip then screw it in place, also make clearance for the windshield mechanism.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:06 am

When I made the glove box for our R120, I made it as a tray with high sides. I wasn't worried about things getting out unless the truck went up side down. There would be so much more to be concerned about when inverted.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:18 pm

I recently bought a Glove Box for my KB7 from Restoration Specialties and had problems with it. The box was 2 1/2" longer and would not fit because the Defroster Hoses were in the way. They sent me a shorter box for a D series cab but even that one won't fit (mounting holes, hinge slots and windshield regulator slot all wrong or not there). Trying to decide which one to modify now.
Cash Disposal Units include; '49 International KBS-7, '46 Willys CJ2A Farm Jeep, '39 Buick sedan, '37 Allis Chalmers WC (other rusty old junk comes & goes without warning).

The two most useful tools you should own are a Crystal Ball and a Magic Wand.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:06 pm

I had the same problem with by KB1. No way the Restoration Specialties glove box is going to fit with the heat and defrost hoses. I thought about trying to modify it but realized there wouldn't be much left if I did. The back end hits the heater. The top hits the defrost hoses. There just isn't much room left for a glove box. I may try to build one out of galvanized sheet metal and pop rivets. It will have to be about half the size of the RS one to fit.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:36 pm

I got one of those years ago, I (barely) remember it was a pain in the butt, nothing lined up, don't remember what I did with it to get it in,

I have one sitting in my garage to go into my KB-6 when the original gives out, but so far the original will still support a rat nest or two.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:48 pm

Ditto: I ordered a glove box from Restoration Specialties and it was deeper or longer than the one in my truck. Mounting holes didn't line-up either. The slot for the windshield mechanism was off too. To make matters worse, you ever assembled it must have had one leg shorter than the other, the box was not square but had a twist or angle in it. I managed to relocate the holes and slot and using clips for the screws was able to use it anyway - still not square, in an angle. The vendor told me they have never had any problem with fitment of parts from any other customer and that they've sold hundreds over the years - okay, so put that in your glove box! Good luck with your parts, Hector.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Possibly the template they have been using to make the glove boxes are for those trucks sold down in the banana belt,,no heater or defrost. One of my trucks was sold without a heater. I can't imagine buying a truck in Minnesota without a heater unless it was strictly a seasonal use vehicle....
Next

Return to K and KB