Fuel Tank - Fuel Sending Unit

The old and reliable.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:59 am

Fuel Tank - Fuel Sending Unit

Well....I am finally biting the bullet and having a fuel tank made for my kb3. The remains of the old one could completely fit in a ziploc sandwhich bag.

When I called to order the tank I also requested a new fuel sending unit. The manufacturer asked me for the ohm rating. I looked in the books and can't find the information. Anyone out there know off hand what the ohm rating would be on the original fuel sending units? This truck will be restored with its original 6V system.

I am getting close to sharing some pictures. I picked this up a year ago and have spent most of that time sourcing, cleaning, and rebuilding parts. I have a long ways to go, but progress should be more visible moving forward.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:33 am

Re: Fuel Tank - Fuel Sending Unit

search.php?keywords=tank+sender&fid[0]=7
Here's a thread about tank sender units that might help. One person says 30 ohms.
I, for one, look forward to some pictures. I always like to see the before and afters.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:19 am

I have done a lot of research on this subject. I don't know if I have the correct information or not but here is what I found out and am doing. Most seem to agree that the ohm readings are 75 ohms empty, and 10 ohms full. With that information I also read in several places that a Ford, Willis, Dodge etc., used a King Seely sender like the IH trucks did in the 40-50's trucks and vehicles. I have ordered a unit that is stated for a Willis Jeep in the 40 range that has an ohm rating of 10-73. It has been said to work by some and others have had trouble getting it to be accurate. It doesn't matter if you use it with 12 or 6 volts. I'll report back the results when it comes and I have tested it. I know that the wire will have to be extended and reshaped on the float arm to match my tank. Fingers crossed as I have all the gauges working properly on my restored gauge panel ( by Larry Leitheiser ) including the speedometer with my Dodge 5 speed manual transmission, the oil, amp and water gauges and hopefully the fuel gauge next. I won't quit until it works like the others!
If anyone has a good, original sending unit, I am interested in purchasing one!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:42 am

King-Seeley gauges were pulse units, not ohms. To get them to work correctly with a stock fuel gauge you will need a stock sending unit.
Bill
KB owner since 1972 and still loving it.
Retired Lineman, mechanic, fabricator, retired motorcycle racer.
South Amherst, Ohio

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:39 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Captain bob - please keep us posted.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Wildman Bill is saying what I have been reading on this site for a few years now so I think all the talk about ohms is irrelevant. I have two stock units that were supposedly rebuilt by Pappy Vance before he passed away. How do I test them? My gauges were restored by Larry Leitheiser so I am confident that they will work. - Stickman 207

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:26 pm

you can test your sender by connecting test lead from sender output to a gauge connected to power,, then a ground wire to sender body, moving float up & down should make needle move accordingly

I've done this with a battery, and with a battery charger, I've read that battery charger shouldn't be used, but it seemed OK for a quick bench test.
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Return to K and KB