KBS-6 rear diff yoke

The old and reliable.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 18, 2014 10:23 am

KBS-6 rear diff yoke

I posted in looking for parts , but I thought that I would make sure of what I'm looking for .
On the rear diff that came in my truck , a KBS-6 , there is a yoke [ what connects the drive shaft to the rear diff ] that is held on by a 1-3/8" nut that fits on a splined shaft that measures 1-1/4 ". I picked up a rear diff [ just the pumpkin] that came from a KS 6/7, that needs a yoke that is held on by an 1-1/2" nut and fits over a 1-1/2" splined shaft .Any way , I'm pretty sure that's the case , and that is what I'm looking for . Another difference is that on my old one the outside dim. of the yoke shaft is 2" and on the one that I need t he outside dim is what looks to be 2-1/8 ", I think that the one I have now is from a K is because it has a felt seal and the one I took out is from a Kb because its newer and has a rubber seal .Thanks , I'd say that any help would be aprieciated but I can't spell it ,!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Re: KBS-6 rear diff yoke

that is okay. spelling is optional. we get the drift. sorry i cannot offer any help with your question. it is though appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 18, 2014 6:34 pm

I presume you're talking about a rear carrier assembly? Since you seem to have no true idea of the model the one you want the flange for came from,that needs to be determined first. Should be easy enough,on the front of the pinion gear where the nut threads on there should be some numbers. ie; 35 - 6 which are the tooth count for the ring gear and pinion gear respectively,there should also be a 5 digit number like 17xxx which is the Eaton pn for the pinion gear. The Eaton numbers are listed in the parts manual although not as a service part but for reference.With that number I can ID what rear it is.
I took a preliminary look in the book and see the 6's use a different rear axles than the 7's. First thing I checked is the carrier to housing gasket,which have different pn's, that right off tells me there is a difference between the two.Have you installed the carrier into the housing (banjo) yet? With the gasket pn's being different it may not fit the housing correctly(?),even the rear covers and gaskets are different.
So before going after a new flange it would be wise to see if the carrier even fits into the housing, has the right bolt pattern and bolt size.

I didn't go much further except to find what additional info may be needed.The 6's seemingly used two versions of the axle which goes by chassis number.
Info needed;
1) Chassis number
2) Engine
3) Trans type (4 or 5 spd.)
4) Aux. trans (yes or no)
5) Number of drive shafts

Any IH pn that old may or may not cross,but it's always worth trying them first.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 18, 2014 7:19 pm

I thought I may have had one for you but the one I have has a 10 spline 1 3/4" O.D. shaft. Sounds too big for your app. but if anyone else needs it let me know. Good luck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 18, 2014 10:41 pm

Here's the Spicer yoke catalog.

http://spicerparts.com/sites/default/fi ... 0-p4_0.pdf

It'll tell you how to ID your U-joint series and input shaft spline by measuring and you should be able to find a yoke to match unless the KB series used something completely different. Remember to measure the outside diameter of the shaft splines and you may want to use a micrometer or caliper that reads in thousandths. There are a lot of sizes in the same spline count that vary by only 8 or 10 thou. Although I'm guessing it's going to be a nominal size. Also pay attention to the outside diameter of the surface the seal will run on (Ground Hub Diameter, dimension "R" in the catalog) and if you can't find one that's the right size you should be able to find a seal that will work, preferably one with a double lip so the felt can be eliminated. At least, that what I'm doing with mine.
'52 L-160 dump truck
'57 RD-405
'58 Allis Chalmers D grader

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 19, 2014 12:32 am

Guess I should have mentioned it...But I didn't see the point without answers to my questions because it's pointless to look further if the carrier doesn't fit the housing.
The K series use MECHANICS U joints, the type with winged bearings. The K6/7 use the 5C & 6C series joints. SPICER does not have the correct type flanges.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon May 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Not to complicate things but it looks a little less than clear in the parts book that I have anyway , There is one more yoke option in there that is for a K6-f , with a different pn . But the one in the picture seems to apply to 6's & 7's. . ,,,, all the gear and pinions in the book use the same cones and rollers but some have a step some have less of a step and some have little if any step as the one in the picture , which would leave one to believe that there would be different yokes nesessary , although only 2 are shown .Could one be 1-3/8"and the other 1-1/2",,,who can say . And yes the carrier fits in the banjo and the axels fit in the side gears , All is well as far as that goes , there is a picture on my build thread . I have pretty good luck at the junk yard . I suspect that the yoke that I'm looking for is on a k7 , they seem to have the deeper set universal joints and are a little more heavy duty .
Attachments
yoke.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu May 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Is this a mechanics type u-joint ? I talked to R.J. at outback and they have the one by pn.as shown in my parts book , I asked if they could measure it . It looks like the one that I need , and it measured up correct. 1-1/2" i.d., o,d.measured 2-3/8" which will fit , but a little tighter than I thought .
Attachments
mechanics type u-joint.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 23, 2014 1:24 am

Nope, that's a SPICER.
I was making a post with all I found but when I went to submit it I was logged off and it all went POOF! :t10512: :t9409: :biggrowl: :t0116:

I'll condense it this time...
The pn's in the MT-53D for the flange are NFG. I did confirm that originally the drive line is the Mechanic's 5C series by crossing the U-joint kits.

Here's a link for GKN-Rockford ,the parent co. of Mechanic's;
http://www.gkn.com/landsystems/brands/r ... fault.aspx

Link for the 5C series parts list;
http://www.gkn.com/landsystems/brands/r ... tion10.pdf

You might be able to find what you need using measurements(?), they call them "Fitting Yokes" it seems.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri May 23, 2014 12:09 pm

Scottso, I am glad I am not the only one that has done that!
Next

Return to K and KB