KB6 Clutch

The old and reliable.

Hal

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:26 pm

KB6 Clutch

Where can I get a parts diagram or shop manual? KB6 ohv. I need to know how to adjust the clutch or possibly install a new clutch plate.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:59 am

Re: KB6 Clutch

Binder Books is an excellent source for manuals-

http://www.binderbooks.com/ih_truck_manuals.htm

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:06 am

Whats going on with your clutch ? they are pretty easy to work on , if you look under the truck where the pedals are you can see the rod with clevis's that is where you adjust the pedal . trans mission removal is not that hard either compared to a newer vehicle .Remove the floor pan ,take off the short drive shaft , take off the emergency brake off the back , 6 bolts on the trans to the bell housing for a 5 speed , 4 bolts for a 4 speed , Take that cover off the bottem of the flywheel ,take off the speedo cable , then the trans should come right out . The input shaft is 10" long or so and has to come all the way out . Then its a matter of taking the bolts that attach the pressure plate to the flywheel 6 I think , just undo them a little at a time , take the plugs out of the motor and it will make it easier to turn the flywheel around to get to the bolts , you can bump the starter or use the flywheel by hand . If there is a lot of oil on the clutch , and that is the problem ,you can replace the main seal with the motor in the truck , just drop the oil pan , loosen the crank caps and you can stuff a seal up and around the end of the crank . Manuals are redily available on line .

Hal

Pile of Parts
Pile of Parts

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks! My buddy drove the truck to the end of my driveway (3/8 mile) and back this morning and thought the clutch was OK even though the pedal goes to the floor. So I will take Manic's advice and work on the pedal play. If I can get the pedal up should I bother to look for excess oil in the bell housing?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:35 pm

I'll take some pictures and post them of adjusting the rod that might help , it will have to be tomorrow though . If you can correct it with an adjustment ,, if it aint broke don't fix it would seem to apply .
What I was trying to say above is that even in the worst case it is really not hard to work on these trucks .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Here is a picture of the linkage to adjust for the clutch play . Undo the lower clevis by removing the cotter key and pin , then lengthen the rod by screwing the clevis out . I'm not sure what you mean when you say the pedal goes all the way to the floor, by itself ?
Attachments
clutch bottem.jpg
top clutch.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:41 pm

here is a picture of the pan to remove to get a look at the pressure plate , not to much to it .
Attachments
pan.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:59 pm

How big of a clutch does a KB6 have? Not familiar with them but will mention that large trucks use a Rockwell or Eaton clutch where you actually adjust the clutch and not the linkage for free pedal. It's been too many years since I adjusted one to attempt to tell you what to look for. MM

Just found this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCQQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fww2.justanswer.com%2Fuploads%2Fgowest%2F2011-07-14_032428_cffg.pdf&ei=Y-_SU_OqL8yryATkwYDQDw&usg=AFQjCNERaSy3IUx0tdzkIumWo5Ip4_1cQw&bvm=bv.71778758,d.aWw

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:10 pm

Hey Mike nice to see you out here . Interesting post , I don't know of the particulars on the dimensions concerning the pressure plate or if it is adjustable in the truck , and its to late to go back to the barn although now you got me thinking . The clutch discs I have seen in the 6's & 7's has been 10 1/2 and mine is 11 on the bd308 .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:25 pm

MM, the clutches you refer to are two plate pull type, they use an internal adjustment for wear, the linkage is not adjusted execpt to set the orignal geometry of the linkage.
On my BLD and BD flywheels, they are drilled for either clutch, and can accept either. The single plate push clutch used on the BLD and BD the linkage is the only adjustment for wear. There are internal adjustments to set up the clutch cover, but the play no factor once in use.
In clutches clamp pressure is more inportant than disk size in determining ablity to hold and not slip under load, disk size helps in how long the clutch will last ( number of cycles starting under load). It is easyer to get a higher clamp presure per square inch with a smaller disk, but it will wear quicker the a larger area with less clamp pressure. Ultimate holding power is a factor of three things, surface area, clamp pressure and lining material.
Next

Return to K and KB