Battery cable crimper

Place to tell and show the tools you have made/Modified to work on your International!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:52 pm

Battery cable crimper

Not something I made, but I am looking for. Most are crap. Greenlee made a good one in Germany but it is out of production. Hard to find a crimper that uses Hex dies and handles 4 ga to 000 ga cable. Greenlee's new ones go from 8 ga to 0 and from 00 down. So two are required to cover most uses. They are not cheap either.
Most professional electricians who might make several crimps a day, they make nice battery powered or hyd powered crimpers.
Most battery cable crimpers sold for automotive are a single point type crimper, and I have found they fail in time, a good hex die crimp is hard to beat.
I just had to go repair a single point crimp on one of my trucks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:12 pm

Re: Battery cable crimper

I have a single point and I am pleased with the action. Rather than pound the shxx out of the tool, I like to activate it in my arbour press. I often finish the crimp by "encouraging" the arbour press with a little help from a large dead-blow hammer on the ram.
I think the leading cause of failure is a poorly done crimp.
I am not suggesting this single point is be-all and end-all answer to success. It is affordable and it works. If I see a good deal on a USA made hydraulic crimp tool, I will upgrade.
I did get a terrific deal on a "HEX" hydraulic crimper for air-conditioning hose. I do not want to depend on the local rip-off AC shop.
Attachments
AC HOSE FITTING HYDRAULIC CRIMPER.jpg
AC hose crimper
ARBOUR PRESS.jpg
arbour press assist
BATTERY CABLE MADE IN USA, THE CRIMPER, NOT SO MUCH.jpg
SINGLE POINT CRIMPER
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:25 pm

The Greenlee was a mechanical tool. like a big bolt cutter. Well made tools. It seams most electricians are now going with the hand held electrical ones. I can see why much smaller and easy to make the crimp right in the electrical box. I just can't justify the cost.
My '83 cabover was down at the body shop, has been there for a few months. Never had a problem while it was in use, but when they went to start it, no go. Traced it down to the single point crimp.
I'm going to look at Kline tools and Bundy and see if I can think of any other tool mfg.
I never regret paying what I did for my ATCO hose crimper for A/C hoses. I think the one you got is as good and cheaper, but wasn't available when I bought mine.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:34 pm

There is a very tempting AMP crimper on Craigslist today. I have not researched the tool to know what crimp it is used on. I like the ratchet crimp tools. The tool stops when the crimp is correct. This takes the HUH? out of the equation.
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/tls ... 50129.html
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to What Special tools Have you Made?