door check pattern

Place to tell and show the tools you have made/Modified to work on your International!

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:37 pm

door check pattern

I would like to find a pattern for the door checks for my 1952 L-110 .I think that I read a article about someone making these door checks I need to make a couple for my truck. The patterns in the article looked like something I might be able to coble together .If any one has that pattern I sure would be glad to pay for a copy.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Re: door check pattern

I have a bunch of these door checks for IHC. I do not know how many we will need for our two projects, plus a few spares. There is the regular "L" for and with my daughter and a four door "R" crewcab.
Bob Drake Reproductions sell sets for old Ford cars. The Ford units are very close to the IHC units. There are two lengths from Ford. Buy the longer 4.50" ones. This is where the longer Ford units are a good choice.
The original IHC restraints are 4.74" long. I will measure later when I get out to the shop.
If you chose to make your own door checks it should be easy enough to make something in your shop. The restraint has a slight curve. The heavy spring catch and hold may not be so easy to make. Ford never used the catch and hold and I have only needed that function a few times. I have used a Vise Grip on the restraint to hold the door open. This can be a damaging situation if someone closes the door before removing the Vise Grip and it get in the way of closing.

https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx? ... 6c6c39293e
Attachments
L&R RESTRAINT ARM.jpg
IHC
DOOR RESTRAINT ARMS.jpg
Ford
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:09 pm

Look like the same ones on my 1989 9670 Cabover.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:13 pm

That would not surprise me. IH were good at hanging onto good ideas. BUT, then IH did drop the double cantilever hinges of the 1952 for the 1953 model, possibly for economic reasons. I have converted the '53 hood to '52 catches and used the '52 inner fender aprons. This is an easy conversion, if a person has the parts.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to What Special tools Have you Made?