Fab bench

Place to tell and show the tools you have made/Modified to work on your International!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:48 pm

Fab bench

I got tired of small fab work and welding on the floor,
while certainty not genius, I put it together in a couple weekends
with scrap material laying around the shop. Its mounted on a
wheeled cart.
Great for light weight cutting , gas and mig welding.

Last edited by Harvey on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Re: Fab bench

Good recycling. It fits in with the hobby.
The bench looks good enough to forgive the gas story.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:54 pm

I was never good at tellin jokes
Had better keep my day job .

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:53 pm

nice. looks like you could box 22 on there somewhere.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:49 am

What is box 22?
What brand of welder is on the other end of that cable?
In 2003 I made a motorcycle lift table. It is raised by a 12 volt hydraulic pump that is mounted on a separate cart thingee. The hydraulic hose has a quick disconnect a the cart can be used as a mobile battery booster. I added an adjustable restricted valve for the return to slow the lowering of the table. The table goes as low as 4 inches and as high as 54 inches. I found it handy for unloading heavy stuff from my truck.
The table is easily moved around the shop with an inverted fifthe wheel handle on the ramp end and the heavy end has four casters on two walking beams. The handle fits several other heavy machines for easy mobility. The heaviest is a WF and John Barnes 1883 drillpress that weighs about 1000 pounds and is 84 inches tall.
The deck is made from .250" checker-plate. I folded the edges where I used to work.
The front wheel of the motorcycle is held firm by a floating caliper design that is made from the hydraulics of a small floor jack.
Attachments
WF&J Barnes drill mobile base and motor solution.jpg
WF&J Barnes drillpress
MOBILE BASE SOLUTION.jpg
drillpress mobile base with handle
motorcycle lift table.jpg
MOTORCYCLE LIFT TABLE2.jpg
Motorcycle lift table

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:29 pm

BTW, I like the Fred Flintstone picture. I was not that lucky and I had to settle for a bunch of naked pictures of the "Opposite Sex". Opposite. I wonder what that means. :whistling2:
The girl next the MAC TOOLS fridge magnet is not part of the MAC sticker. I used to get some very large advertising after it was being thrown away. I cut the "person" out of the advertising and the context appeared to change in an instant. I have a 10 foot long reclining female person in a reclining pose above one of the shop windows. The picture was original part of the advert for clothing. Now she is a religious experience because she is "looking down on me". The attached picture may be the only poster that I have this forum will tolerate.
WURTH calendars are difficult to find and have become collectables and can be very expensive. The WURTH calendar I have was a gift of 12 wonderful months.
Attachments
love them MAC Tools.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:28 pm

Not so sure I could get the boss to approve of your wall art.
but Fred is good company when I am piddling away in the shop
or when the boss get on my nerves and I need somebody to talk too.
Fred always takes my side and is a great listener.

The welder as shown serves me well, I have an extension hose for the gas co tank
so if its not to windy I can work outside.
Also have a 225amp buzzer but don't use it much anymore.
I like the clean welds I get with the wire gas setup and being able to weld inside
with close quarters as I am sure you know is nice.

ps: The cycle bench is very cool .
also that drill press,, wow , I use to occasionally use one like that when I worked at the foundry,
though not painted up so pretty :D
Says allot about you and your shop. 8-) Pleasures mine!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:02 pm

I bought another wonderful 1897 HOEFER drill press from MAGIHC MIKE, a member of this forum. Mike is a tricky guy, so he deserves watching. I was having coffee at Tim's with Mike, his wife and his Father, when this young female person asked me if I might be interested in posing NAKED :moon1: for some pictures for a calendar to raise money for prostate cancer. I had prostate cancer some time ago, Mike knew, but I had never seen this attractive female before. So, in my usual way, I made a bunch of humor out of the situation. I took the photographer's business card and agreed to call her later. I turned to see Mike and his Dad with tears running down their faces. Mike's wife had her face covered and appeared to be choking. I had been punked in grand style.
So return to the drillpress. We return to Mike's place and he and I are walking in his yard and he leads me right past a partially covered "Camelback drill press. There was just enough exposed so I could not miss it. I asked if I might be allowed to make an offer, he suggested that I give it a try. I offered $500, he accepted just a little too quickly then said, You could have had it for less." Bugger.
I wanted a vintage BALDOR electric motor to power this drillpress. The Craigslist prices were a little high for a motor, but I noticed that some vintage machines had been repowered with BALDOR and the prices were very low. I bought a BALDOR 1/2 horse motor with a crap disc grinder attached, it was $20. When I took the cobbled piece of junk apart a got a bonus of 50+ plated wood screws and some firewood.
I paid off the outstanding debt for a bodyshop guy and I got a MILLER MATIC 2OO for my trouble. I have had the MILLER 200 for over 30 years. We added a MILLER SYNCROWAVE 180, 19 years ago and a MILLER SPECTRUM 300 plasma cutter about 15 years ago. Buy Made in USA. Buying here keeps North Americans working. It is important.
Attachments
BALDOR POWER.jpg
$20 Baldor power from CL
NEW TO ME DRILL PRESS.jpg
when it arrived
COMPLETE, FINISHED.jpg
finished and ready to make some holes
BASE AND LOWER DRIVE.jpg
HOEFER DRILL TABLE.jpg
drill press 2.jpg
drill press 4.jpg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:14 pm

I am thinking that I may have seen this drillpress paint colour recently. :whistling2:

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:08 pm

Glad your the photo shoot was a joke scared me for a second, the prostate fund raiser is of upmost importance , glad to hear you
made it through.

Score with the press and motor, can't beat USA machinery I am with you 100% , I am willing to pay more if need be,
this I did with my truck all the way USA , sent back a distributor wire set and coil for that very reason
supplier was upset but tuff ****.. I had ask and told him prior to the order, now he know me well,
I still deal with him but he knows not to sell me any Chinese counterfeit junk.

Again very cool with your machinery , and more so on your recovery..
also glad to here of no naked pinups of you around anywhere,, :t3716:

be well

Steve
Next

Return to What Special tools Have you Made?