home build hoist

Place to tell and show the tools you have made/Modified to work on your International!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:54 pm

home build hoist

this past weekend I made this hoist for lifting heavy stuff. since it is just me and no help, I have to figure how to do stuff on my own. I want to take the bed off of the frame to do some work, so that was my motivation. will be used for other stuff as well. my inspiration came from a recent Hot Rod Magazine photo from 1959 showing guys swapping an engine with a shop built hoist.

I had a structural engineer size the steel for me.

edit: so I see the photos came in in reverse order and do not match the captions. you should get the drift.
Attachments
hoist 3.JPG
A frame ends are steel pipe with steel tube top rail
hoist 2.JPG
casters with zerk fittings for easy rolling
hoist 1.JPG
made this trolley from steel plate and use steel casters to roll on top of the tube.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Re: home build hoist

That is really nice. I like the gantry style lift system for it's stability and with wheels, the unit can be scurried out of the way. Multiple lifts can be used for those special jobs.
I have been wanting to build a box lift adapter with adjustments. Once again. really nice job.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:31 pm

To help with keeping the captions matching the pictures, I use paint to resize and then give the saved picture a name like POS 1 and POS 2 etc. I am going to cheat a little and search the internet for a box lifter to copy.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:02 am

thanks. I do hope to get good use out of it.

I did label the photos different. I just expected the first photo uploaded to be at the top, but came in at the bottom, and so started the captions that way.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:45 pm

used the hoist to remove the bed over the weekend. I used rope, which tended stretch quite a bit, which made getting the bed off a touch more effort. I will need to get some chain or cargo straps for the next time. also, it would be great if it were about a foot taller, but I was limited to the height of my garage door.
Attachments
IMG_1474.JPG

Return to What Special tools Have you Made?