Just purchased 72 Travelall, and I am clueless

For all years

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:09 pm

Just purchased 72 Travelall, and I am clueless

Hello all. Just purchased this for my son's and I to fix up this old girl and driver her around town. I should start by saying I do not know the first thing about fixing trucks... do here is the lowdown....

-brakes are to the floor
-leak at gas tank
-body work

I figure with you tube we can nail the body work... but I figure the tank and brakes may be more period specific to this truck. What manual, turtioal can I obtain to fix the brakes and tank (I assume we will replace the tank)

Thanks all

Devin
Limington, Maine
Attachments
IMG_2005.JPG
IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_1999.JPG

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: Just purchased 72 Travelall, and I am clueless

Go to www.binderbooks.com and buy the IH Service Manual for your vehicle. I also suggest buying the Operators Manual and a Parts Catalog.
My Junk --> 1975 IH Model 200HD, 1 ton 4x4 truck, 392, 4 speed, etc.
My cave location --> Western North Carolina

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:20 pm

Re: Just purchased 72 Travelall, and I am clueless

Trailer the vehicle to someone who you can pay to give it a total assessment. Someone older and experienced that isn't just trying to make his spiff on "upselling". A honest, old mechanic.
The reason why I say to do that is you want to make sure you've bought a rebuildable vehicle. For all you know it's just a parts car.
I've gone through this heartache a few times...it's better to know NOW and not later.
Assume the brakes will be a total rebuild.
But what shape is the frame? Axles? Was it in multiple accidents? Are there great big wads of newspaper filling in the holes in the floor? Wiring still present and in what shape? Leaking what?
It needs to go up on a hoist and get inspected by an expert with a bright LED flashlight.
I sincerely hope it's a sweetheart!

Return to Travelall