Finally switching out...

For all years

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:23 am

Re: Finally switching out...

Thanks BillHickey I'll look into it!! But you're right it is a rare beauty and some guys do charge astronomical fees for :h21014: motors.
Great days begin with fantastic mornings!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:42 pm

Bill is right, but reality is no one pays for a cornbinder motor like they do a Chebbie/GMC, the boys on oldgmc.com are willing to dump a fortune on a GMC inline 302.

last rebuilt SD-220 I bought cost me $100,

I'm not saying your motor isn't worth $500, it's worth more, but finding a buyer is another thing,
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:30 pm

I will venture a guess about your old IHC motor. It will go for scrap before it sells. You might get lucky, but.......................... I have sent more than a few really good ones to scrap because there is not market for them. I gave a certified dealer rebuild to my friend Magihc Mike. I got the engine as part of a storage locker buy. There was 9 truck-loads of IHC bits and pieces including two "L" trucks. I paid $750 for everything.
I was looking at the tarantula intake manifold and thinking this may not be the appropriate intake manifold for your application. These manifold are designed to function well in the 3000 to 6500 rpm range. When I see one of these manifolds on a used engine, it usually indicates a worn out engine because of the high rpm required to make it work properly. Now is the time to have that engine professionally checked.
It is all about the intake air fuel mix speed required to keep the fuel mixed with the air and also to maintain enough gas speed to build pressure against the closed intake valve so the air/fuel will ram into the engine when the valve opens. Unless this will be an off-road race truck, wrong manifold. You need a dual plain manifold for the street. The intake manifold should be matched to the stall speed of the torque converter. This is a careful balancing act of matching the components to the application.
I hope you consider a professional conversion. Even better, put the SD220 back in and look for a T98a transmission. It is not so much that you cannot learn by doing, but there is reason to believe you might be in beyond your experience. No shop is a big minus. I hope you have your significant other approving of this project. Factor the cost from your written plans into your disposable income and turn that into a time to pay. The $3000 estimate could rapidly very rapidly double.
B72 says, "It isn't rocker surgery." But it is close enough.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks for the info guys the mere fact that I haven't got my 49 'Chebbie" back from other shop, I have no leads on motor, as well as nowhere to store it, May land it at the metal recycling center. Now If I can only get a motor lift to get it off the back of my truck when I get it and the motor.
Lastly, the guys at the shop are great friends of a hot-rodder friend of mine and we all searched high and low for a T98 to no avail :m03104: and they promised me it wouldn't go over 3500 on cost. B/c mostly they've never done a swap in anything even close to this and want to do it right for :t10512: bragging rights around town. They know I'm going to drive it everywhere and let people know where I got the work done. Most of the cruise night guys know I can do the work but suffer from no garage/carport/shop-itis :t0116:
Great days begin with fantastic mornings!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed May 04, 2016 1:23 pm

So, how is the Travelall project going?
I am interested in somethin you posted". B/c mostly they've never done a swap in anything even close to this." I do not know how a person with some skills could not figure this out since most all trucks from this time were metal bodies on ladder frames.
If the costs start to run over your budget, you might be able to trade part of your sneaker collection for services.
I used to play the Saxophone. Trumpet is nice.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive
Previous

Return to Travelall