Finally switching out...

For all years

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:59 pm

Finally switching out...

...but not because I want to. Sooooooo I can't find a replacement for my Borg T89 transmission that has a :t0116: "rare" top loader side shift set-up. Now I'm going to go ahead and drop a Chevy 350 from and 80's Camaro backed by a 300 Turbo from :t0201: :t0213: the same. Wishing I had a shop to do this myself b/c now my friend's local shop is telling me it will be 3 :t10512: thousand or more to drop it all in. I guess now I'm wondering what to do with my rebuilt SD 220 which could easily drive another 15-30k more miles. :t1812:
Attachments
Tranny parts for Jenny.JPG
350 motor for Jenny.JPG
Great days begin with fantastic mornings!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Finally switching out...

The reality of your proposed SBC engine swap is a this, $3000 that is not such a bad deal. There is going to be some fabrication involved which may require a cross-member to be moved and a new one fabricated to replace it. The steering column may have to be replaced and that will require another steering box. If I were doing this job for cash, I would charge at least $3000 for the labour and the parts would be extra.
And another thing. Your stock brakes will not be good enough to stop your Binder. These old blisters relied on solid engine drag from a standard transmission to help slow the mass. I put a 727 into our R120 and we sailed tight past the brakes ability to make enough stopping power.
When a person says " going to drop an engine in" it sets that person up for a surprise that may end up as disappointment. Drop in is fantasy, well, maybe not if an IHC 304 were fitted. This is as close to a drop-in as you will ever find.
Do you know that the SBC is in any better condition than your "rebuilt" SD220? Was your SD220 "rebuilt" by a professional or was is a driveway special. A properly rebuilt SD220, with modern oil changes at regular intervals should run for 160.000kilometers, plus.
Have you ever given any thought to hanging a Borg Warner Tremac T5 behind that SD220. Some fitting and machining will be involved, but it should fit. Matching a clutch disc to the input shaft of the T5 and the IHC clutch pressure plate should be easy enough. Check with your local auto parts recycler. Some machining may be necessary on the OEM IHC flywheel housing. Not a big deal.
Fifth gear is a .75 overdrive. These transmissions were made in the millions and used by Ford and Chevy and maybe others.
And you do not have a shop? Your options have all but dropped to zero.
OK take a dump on me for the reality check. I have been at this modified vehicle thingee for close to 50 years. If I have not tried something, one of the other guys will have done it.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:25 pm

Appreciate the reply!!! And yes the not having space to do it yourself is a pain. So I shouldn't complain seeing how I'm gonna be tying up a few (2-3) mechanics at the shop for this swap. And yes the 220 was professionally rebuilt. Thought about the braking power as well.....really have no response. It's the main reason I wanted to keep the old low geared 220

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:33 am

I guess, I am a little lost on why you can not find a transmission? Is it not configured inside your truck so you could put a T98? Just trying to wrap my head around this.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:19 pm

I didn't mention that it's a 3 on the tree. and no I haven't been able to find a Borg T98 top loader with side shift arm transmission anywhere. Please keep in mind that I am down in New Orleans and these Travelall's are very rare in the southwest/east. I've only seen or heard of 2 others even remotely close to me and both of them were R110 p/u's not Travelall's.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:31 am

If this were my truck and I needed an inexpensive transmission fix, I would be converting to a T98 or the later T98a. The T98a has helical cut gears.
There is lots of information on the Internet for the T98 and T98a transmissions.
This is your chance to get rid of the column shift which is probably worn out anyway.
For more information check our NOVAK CONVERSIONS. I will bet Novak will have the parts and plan for a T5 conversion.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:36 pm

Well, it's a bit too late. Went and collected all the bits and pieces to drop 350 in today. Only things missing are some mufflers
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:35 pm

Lots of luck with that "drop-in".

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:37 pm

got the old SD 220. Guess I'll post it in classifieds for $500? Do you guys think that's a fair price? Been looking to see if anyone else is selling them. Really don't have a place to store it for 'future use' and/or experimentation.
Attachments
Jenny's SD 220.jpg
Jenny's engine bay.jpg

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:04 pm

There's an IH Trader Page,on "Facebook". there was a post on there a couple of weeks ago,about someone looking for an SD 220. The fact that it was professionally rebuilt,is a GREAT SELLING POINT! If it were me,$500 would be My BOTTOM DOLLAR. Comparing what "vintage",running,(NOT REBUILT),Chevy 235's/261's go for,($750,if it smokes)-$2,000,for a low-mile 261),$500 may be cutting yourself short. Getting more money for your engine,will definitely help with your "Swap Costs"!
Next

Return to Travelall