Rebuilt Holley 500 CFM

For all years

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:15 pm

Rebuilt Holley 500 CFM

I got the Holley back,and bolted it on the 345 Sunday. The Travelall started,but died,instead of idling. I found a couple of vacuum leaks,and got it to idle,but sporadically. I had a vac. gauge ,and it read " Late Timing",ALMOST in-the-green. I loosened the dist. clamp,but it won't budge,even trying to Gently coax it with a pry bar between the water pump housing,and vac. advance. I sprayed it with penetrating fluid,and will try to "time" it,the next time I'm at the "Farm". I would think that the carb. needs adjusted,instead of timing.In the video the P.O. sent, it was"Purring Like a Kitten",.with the aid of a carburetor from a different I.H.345. The needle on the gauge stays steady,but the engine sounds like a cold Detroit-"Chases" from low to high R.P.M. Any suggestions would be appreciated! THANKS!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Re: Rebuilt Holley 500 CFM

500 sounds big for a 345, With big carbs on a small engine the signals will be weak. You should be able to tweek it to run right, but in my opinion you would be better off with a smaller CFM. Don't forget, 2bbls are rated at a different MAP then 4bbls so compareing numbers will throw you off.
Unless you really understand carbs, how they work and how to tweek things like the changeover point from idle to main metering, you would be better off with a carb that was built for that engine.

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:03 pm

Re: Rebuilt Holley 500 CFM

i loosened the distributor,installed a vacuum gauge,and got it "timed",Saturday. engine ran and sounded GREAT! went back out there Sunday to bleed the brakes. Started the truck,and heard a squeal,(like a loose fan belt),and got out to investigate. About the time i pinpointed the source,Bottom End),smoke and oil started spewing between the pan and bell housing-crankcase pressure-spun bearing-chewed crank! I already have a 345 located,with less than 20,000 miles on the clock. Hope the motor mount bosses are the same,since the T'all is a '72,and the 345 is from a '63 Loadstar 1700. I'm getting the Clark 5-Speed Direct 5th with the engine,as well. Package Deal...$500.00!!

Return to Travelall