Front end match

For all years

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:05 am

Front end match

Does anyone know what's a good front end replacement for a 1953 IH TravelAll?
Great days begin with fantastic mornings!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:45 am

Re: Front end match

Do you want to "replace" the "front end" with something to convert to 4X4? Do you want to replace with another "I" beam solid axle? Would you be interested in an independent front suspension based on the Mustang II design? Disc Brakes, parallel leaf springs or air springs maybe?
More information please.
Attachments
DANA 44 MOCK-UP.jpg
DANA 44
Very studdly.jpg
DISC CONVERSION
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Whatever allows me the ability to NOT :biggrowl: have to send it to a specialty shop for repairs. Definitely don't want the headache/maintenance of an air ride system. Didn't know the Mustang front end would work. I know that's what all the HotRodders do....

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:54 pm

nikkinutshop I may ask my guy at the 4 x 4 shop who was going to do the rear end for me what he thinks. But don't really need/want to take the old lady off-roading.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:35 pm

I have had four wheel drive trucks for over three decades and I never go off-roading. I have done a few 4X4 conversions just to get better brakes, improved parts availability and add that cool factor. It is no big deal.
Air springs are probably the lowest maintenance of all springs. The company where I was one of many mechanics, has about 1500 vehicles with air springs. I remember one of the vehicles having well over a million miles and over 20 years on the "air-bags" when one blew out. I don't care what you decide to do, but it might be nicer, for you, if you have good information to make a better choice. If you take a look at 1952 L-110 shorty in the build off section of this forum, you can see what is going into building a Cummins 4X4 IH for my son. While not for everyone the build is an example of what can be done. For others it will be a warning for what can be done.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:02 pm

I may end up going with air bags and I'm sure I'd love to ride on them. And since my dude specializes in 4 x 4, it would be nice to ride on the 4 x 4 all time set up and the air bags. So who knows.

On a side note, Fatman is telling me that since the SD 220 motor mounts are in the front it won't work with any of their kits unless I get a new motor.....

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:31 pm

Keep looking and researching. It sounds like you are a long way away from knowing and understanding what you want. On the other hand, if you are paying another person to do the work, you don't need to know anything except how to write a cheque.
If you find changing a rear axle is something that you need to send out, that is a good thing to know. A rear axle change is one of the easiest jobs, from there it gets much more difficult and expensive.
For the best advice, talk to a shop that makes and or installs the stuff you want. Most everyone has something to say about just about everything. Go to the source, the rest is BS. Some of the members on this forum have been there and done that and these few can be a good resource.

Return to Travelall