Here is my 71 C1100 TA

For all years

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:03 am

Here is my 71 C1100 TA

Here is a photo of my 71 C1100 with SV345 and 4 speed 4X4. I spoke too soon over on the 1000 series thread, old reliable won't start this morning only 13- below zero F. May have to put a new engine heater on it If I end up staying home more winters. MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:17 am

Re: Here is my 71 C1100 TA

And here is my son's Travelall. I think it is a 64 the more I think about it. His wife's Grandfather had it stored in a shed for over 20 years. He is still tracking down a new title and finishing up on some small repairs.

Here is the next generation of Travelall owner hard at work learning to repair the window regulator.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:07 am

Here is the binder that started it all and the donor that may become a project.

John

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:36 am

I like the school bus yellow one John, especially the barn doors. The tail gates seem to always break the hinges and the electric motors on the window go bad. I reworked the mechanism on mine so that the window will crank down by hand. I need to pull the torsion bar out and weld it up as that sucker is heavy with no assist. Here is my Dad's first Travelall when it was new.

MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:40 pm

the 62 travelall my father had when I was in high school had the barn doors and was a retired Utah Highway Department truck painted that school bus yellow. My father called sh1t brindle yellow. We spent a week in the garage doing all the body work and sanding before he repainted it some lighter yellow color. I have been partial to that vintage travelall ever since and maybe one day will find on.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:44 am

Went out day before yesterday to plow the fresh snow off the driveway. Danged if the original ignition switch hadn't failed on my 71 TA. After many many attempts to turn the key it finally turned to the on position but would not go to crank, and after turning back to off can not get it to turn again. Is this what the American Public was complaining about back in the 70's when they demanded more reliable automobiles and started the influx of foreign cars? I personally don't think 43 years is too poor of a record from a maintenance stand point! :m03104: MM

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:17 pm

I think 43 years is damned good for something like that. I had a '04 Cherokee and the cylinder went on me in '07. Of course it happened at night and it was about 20 degrees out. :t0116:
Had to take a cab home,next day got one at Autozone and was going again 20 minutes later.

Btw Mike,a '71 is not an C1100 which is a 63-'64.1100D or 1110 would be more like it.
12 yrs.exp. in IH dealer parts dept.
Never argue with a fool...
If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing.
If you don't learn something new everyday...you weren't paying attention.
THINK! Be sure brain is connected before mouth is in gear.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:29 pm

I like the pic,MM, There is '78 (I think?) sitting for sale on the west side of I-95 north of Bonners Ferry, ID. for $700.00 with all the gear, but the big v-8 is stuck and the owner says he keeps pouring diesel down the carb to try and unstick it. same colour as the photo you showed a couple posts above. I was surprised they even made a '78 ??!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:38 pm

Scott, your right my 71 is a 1110. Too many vehicles to keep up with and I tend to forget all that I don't use daily. My son finally got the title paperwork approved and has plates on his 64. While he was working on the paperwork (free vehicle is not always free!) he cut out and replaced the front floorboards then coated them on top with bed liner and undercoating underneath. He has had a few fuel issues but is slowly getting them worked out. One of the issues he had with his was neither the temp or fuel gauge were working. The oil had been changed to a mechanical gauge. Didn't like the price for a new Instrument panel voltage regulator. Found a fix over on Binder Planet, but the electronic one they used was out of stock everywhere. I found a voltage regulator on line good for 3 amp and 5 volt output. I ordered 3 of them they came out of china, where else no one here is making anything these days. Was pleasantly surprised the shipping was less than $3 and I had them in a week. Nate put one on his Travelall and the temp gauge is working well but need to fix the sender in the fuel tank. I know I have that voltage regulator number written down but can't find it right now while posting here. MM

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:35 am

That should be a LM7805 voltage regulator. Together with two small capacitors it makes a nice replacement for the stock voltage regulator. Though, it will make the gauges a bit slower to react. This is due to the electronic regulator putting out a constant 5 volts, while the OEM regulator puts out a square like wave form that averages 5 volts.

-Paul
---
Paul Wargenstahm
Lord of Chaol Ghleann

Feel free to visit my IH pages at http://ih.wargenstahm.se
for tips, tricks, and lots of build pics and info.

Return to Travelall