C1 Radiator for Ford Flathead

The place to put your 1940 and older "Build Off" story.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:22 pm

C1 Radiator for Ford Flathead

I am putting a Ford Flathead in my 1934 International build and I am looking for information on a radiator to use. I would like it to fit in the original spot but it needs the connections for the engines. Any recommendations?

Even the dimensions of the original radiator so I can get a custom one built.

Dorien

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:33 pm

Re: C1 Radiator for Ford Flathead

A radiator for your Ford engine is available at SUMMET RACING. Plan on spending about $1200.usd
If you are planning to have a pressurized cooling system, you will need to have the reproduction water pumps with proper lip[ seals. Another important and often missed "thing" is, many Ford Flathead blocks are drilled, at the front, into the pressurised oil system. This was for the purpose of sending a small amount of oil to lubricate the water pumps seals. All went reasonably well as long as the cooling system was not pressurised. When the engine shut down, the oil pressure dropped to zero and the cooling system pressure remained. Coolant would drain back into the engine oil. Coolant in the oil can destroy the bearings in the engine.
I dont make this $hit up. My 1940 Ford has been converted to pressure cooliing. The radiator was $1400 Canadian and the sealed water pumps cost about $125 for the pair, at Bob Drake Reproductions.
I hope your choice of a Ford Flathead works out for you. I have several Flatheads in storage and one in use. I have fuel injected and supercharged my C69A Flathead V8 that is my 1940 Ford. Unless a person helps these engines to breathe, this engine can be very low performance. Multiple carburetors will not help.
Attachments
FILTER BRACKET 2.jpg
ENGINE 3 (2).jpg
EATOM M92.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:42 am

The Ford Flathead V8 is back in style again. A good running and rebuildable Flathead V8 can get a high price from the right person.
These engines like to leak oil from the crankshaft rope seals. There is an modern lip seal upgrade for the front.
Plan on using an electric fuel pump and mount the fuel pump near the fuel tank. The original location for the fuel pump, on the top and at the back of the engine is a hot spot and modern gasoline will vapor lock. A residual pressure regulator with a fuel return line is one of the better ideas.
There are many good running and reliable Flathead V8 engines in service. Don't expect big performance from one of these engines unless you are going to spend some big money.
If my Flathead V8 becomes a problem, I will replace it with a Cummins isf turbo Diesel crate engine. Check out this Cummins package.
Another good engine choice is the Chevy small block V8. I will never use this engine, but it is a reasonably priced and reliable option.
There are four 1940 Ford cars in this neighborhood. My 40 is the only one not Chevy powered. My Ford could become the only Cummins Diesel powered forty.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:03 am

A radiator to fit your application may or may not be an original Ford fit. There were more than a few different shapes between 1932 and 1954. What you might do is have your IHC radiator modified for two upper and two lower rad-hose connections. Another possibility is to build a two into one collector to adapt the Flathead V8 water necks to a single hose connection on the upper and lower radiator.
The SBC option is starting to look a lot beter and easier.

Return to 1940 and older Build-Off