Tire compressor leaks oil badly

The place to put your 1940 and older "Build Off" story.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:09 am

Tire compressor leaks oil badly

I'm needing a little help with my 1936 C30. This has a factory fitted tire compressor pump attached to the transmission that constantly leaks oil. Does anyone know if the compressor should share the transmission oil and if so how I can keep the oil level below that in the gear box. The oil is running out the breather hole in the sump of the compressor. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:52 am

Re: Tire compressor leaks oil badly

I went looking in my K service manual and didn't find anything, The parts manual I did. I don't see any seal (didn't expect too) between the trans and pump. I also don't see a "breather hole" in the sump of the pump, but the rear plate is refered to as a "breather". Is that where it is leaking?
It seams that the crankshaft bushing are the only thing separating the trans oil from the oil in the crankcase. So I would assume they are running in a common oil.
That would tend to mean that the trans oil level should be no higher than the crankshaft level in the pump or roughly half way up the PTO opening. which does seam to be lower than the fill plug.
Not sure what to tell you to do. It does seam the breather outlet is below trans level plug height.
I guess the 1st thing I would check is the condition of the crankshaft and its bushings.
Can't be of much help I know, but these were already becoming a rare item by the time the K's came out, or at least, not many survived on the trucks to today, I haven't seen one.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:27 pm

Thank you cornbinder89 for your response to my post. I have been away on a Christmas break so haven't been able to reply earlier.
You are right in pretty well all assumptions. The breather is in the backing plate. The question of how much oil should be in the transmission puzzles me. If it were low enough to not leak out the breather would it be high enough for the transmission?

Today I will photograph the pump while still connected to the transmission then remove it. I will try to work out if there could be a seal between the transmission and the pump. I thought of replacing the breather plate with one with a tall breathing snorkel to reach above the transmission fill plug. If I did that then the oil level would be part way up the piston chamber when at the lower position.

Alternatively I will see if I could leave the pump off "at least for now" and install a blank off side plate. I would rather fix the problem rather that compensate. Maybe the pumps were more trouble than they were worth so were not continued on later models. My wife's family owned this truck since new and I don't recall them saying there were issues with the pump.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:09 pm

I know it has to be on this site somewhere but wondered if anyone could direct me to the lubrication chart for the C30? I also have one somewhere. I want to know the viscosity of the transmission oil and quantity.

I have removed the tire compressor and fitted a blanking off plate for now until I can find the solution. I had 90 oil in it but wondered if it should be 140. Could this be the reason for the oil leak?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:55 pm

Have a good read of this attachment be carful using modern 90w/140w gearbox oils as they may not be suitable for your old gearbox.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs_ ... lassic.pdf

This is what I use in my 1927

Penrite Transoil 90 is a premium, non EP, API GL-1 gear oil designed specifically for use in veteran, vintage and Edwardian gearbox, transaxles and selected spur and bevel type rear axles. It does not contain any aggressive load carrying additives that may cause damage to ferrous and non ferrous metal types used in these types of vehicles. It is also compatible with leather and synthetic rubber seals.
http://www.vihtr.com
Veteran International Harvester Truck Registry
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316122235181405/
International Harvester Trucks Pre 1940

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:40 am

Thanks slospeed. That is very useful information. Not only for the transmission but steering box and sump. I will use a higher viscosity oil and see if it overcomes the tyre pump leaking problem.

Return to 1940 and older Build-Off