34-37 C-1 Rodstoration

The place to put your 1940 and older "Build Off" story.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:22 pm

34-37 C-1 Rodstoration

Many Moons ago, around 2001 or so, my father acquired a 1937 (titled) International C-1 Pickup from Northern Aridzona. The truck had previously been "rodded" at some point in the 70's or 80's (based off the period parts that came on the truck). It had some sort of Ford Rear End, a Small Block Chevy 350, Turbo 350 and car seats. My father decided that the truck needed a Mustang II front end and a 73 Pinto Station Wagon Front end was installed (huge mistake). The truck then sat in the corner of a Mexican autobody shop for about 5 years. My father negotiated a deal that the shop would work on the truck during slow times only, no hurry to finish it. The sheet metal was so beat that the autobody guy would have lost money working on it, so he just never found time to work on it.
buriedtreasure2.JPG

During 2006, I finally badgered my father into letting me take the truck (another huge mistake on my part). The truck would start and drive, but the steering was not connected and only the rear brakes worked. The truck didn't look "too bad" on the trailer when it arrived, but I was mistaken. My father ran the engine with bad 5 year old gas, that had been sitting in the Arizona heat, and ruined the SBC 350.
binder trlr 2a.jpg

My original intent was to get it back on the road and use it to drive to work daily. Unfortunatelly, with the engine ruined and all the steering and brake work needed, that didn't happen. I ended up tearing the truck down to the frame; I cleaned and POR-15'd the frame before replacing all the brake and fuel lines, installing a rebuilt 327 and an iffy TH200R4. I welded up over 70 holes in the firewall plus another 25 or so in the cab. I also replaced both lower rear cab corners and pounded out many of the dents. The cab wood was rotton, so I replaced most of the support wood with square steel tubing and reinforced the floor with steel and new wood. I replaced the wood framed doors with steel doors (I'm in the middle of installing electric window raisers.) I replaced all of the wiring, added appropriate relays and fuses where none existed before. I removed rust and treated the metal before applying primer and satin paint (to hide the rest of the flaws and dents). After I put the cab back on the frame and got the truck running again, I repaired the grill, worked on the bed and fenders to make them a bit more presentable. (I ended up replacing both front fenders with others that needed a lot less work). I obtained a ?1 1/4 ton truck front bumper that I almost immediately tore it off>>>> that is another story.
binder new bumper.jpg

The truck would only run about 10 miles before the gas filter clogged up from all the junk inside the original gas tank. I installed an aluminum fuel cell in the back with a new electric fuel pump and have not had any fuel delivery issues since.

I also replaced the 73 Pinto front 4 lug spindles with Heidts 2 inch drop spindles, new disks and GM calipers. I still need to do something with the rear suspension. I have not decided whether or not to leave it stock, go with a 4 link or replace it with newer style aftermarket leaf springs.

I've had the truck on the road for a few years now. I take it to the Fallbrook Car show every year and try to get a major improvement each time. My long term goal is to drive the truck the entire length of Route 66, probably not in one trip though. I think I'll go from ?Santa Monica to Barstow first, then Barstow to Denver, then Denver to KC for the Midwest Annual Truck Show. I'll make the end run to ?Chicago at the start of the weekend or maybe take an extra day at the end.
Last edited by binder1936 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:17 pm

Re: 34-37 C-1 Rodstoration

So, this sounds like a challenge. Better front end/frame, find out what rear you have(could still be good for what you might be doing) Motor/trans set up. Gather up the parts you need and go to town. Look forward to what you do.
They are never mistakes, just learning experiences. Looks like you have a big one.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:17 pm

[b]Here is a link to The Binders photobucket account. http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/IHBinder/library/ I've made a few changes the past month, to include: Installed new door glass from Hotrod glass in riverside, ca (highly recommended) ; reinstalled the front bumper I knocked off a couple years ago. Repaired and installed the front splash panel. Straightened out the hood bird. Knocked out a few more dents.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:27 pm

What you really did was persevere!
Way to go!
I have a C-1, too. I think you live in SoCal? I'm near Fresno. Hope I run into you sometime.
My experience with original C-1s is that not a single body panel is ever straight. They just seemed to get BEAT.
VERY PRETTY TRUCKS!
1933 IHC Bus. Cpe
1933 IHC B-3 f
1935 C-1 IHC pickup
2 x 1936 IHC C-30 Fbs
3 x 1938 IHC D-2 Pickups
1938 IHC D-30 fb
1941 IHC K-1
2 x 1947 IHC KB-1 Pickups
2x 1953 IHC R pickups

Freshly Restored
Freshly Restored

Post Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:08 pm

They are beautiful trucks, looks like you have done well to yours. I really like the silhouette of the C's, wish I had one as nice as yours. Best of Luck on that Route 66 run. I'm located at the other end (in the Chicago market) myself and have often thought that would be a nice trip in my R-series. Maybe someday...... :whistling2:
1954 R-122 long bed - restored as stock as "reasonable"
Honda Z50 K1 - restoration "almost completed"
Honda CT70 K4 - original
(2) Honda US90 K0 (ATC K0) - one restored, one original

Return to 1940 and older Build-Off