1939 D2 Panel Truck

The place to put your 1940 and older "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:11 pm

Re: 1939 D2 Panel Truck

My son and I were on our way home from and IHC truck show and shine in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. We decided to take the southern route instead of the TC1.
About an hour west of Medicine Hat, we spotted one of those panel trucks in a carport, it was possibly restored or a very good example of a preserved survivor. I could not find anyone home, so we left the location after leaving a note.
I thin these trucks are beautiful. Rod at Scout Pluss in Hope, BC has a yellow one with dual rear wheels. http://scoutpluss.com/
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Rookie
Rookie

Post Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:15 am

Re: 1939 D2 Panel Truck

Thanks for the suggestions nikkinutshop. I have been considering using the 4bta as well, but prefer the 6 cylinder. I believe the early versions didn't use an intercooler, so I wasn't planning to on this truck. But the 4cyl would definitely be easier and handle better with less weight. Boxing the frame probably isn't a big deal if I need to, but I don't want to convert it to a newer suspension. I want to keep it as original as possible so I don't lose a lot of the old feel to the truck. I would keep it completely stock except that the motor I have is complete junk, missing lots of parts and has no aftermarket support to improve it. But otherwise, I want to change the truck as little as possible.

For the rear axle, I measured it out and it is the same size as a Mopar B-body rear. I prefer the removable center section axles like the Ford 9" and Mopar 8 3/4 so I can change gear ratios with ease. Also, the Mopar axle looks much more similar to the original one. I can even get one from a '62-'64 B-body and it will have those same pressed hubs like on the International rear. I will only change the original one out if I can't get the gear ratio I want for it, which is likely. I measured the ratio in there now, and it is around 4.18:1, which is quite low.
1939 IH Panel Truck
Previous

Return to 1940 and older Build-Off