Timing

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:07 pm

Timing

Hi all I have a 1951 L110 and was wondering if is possible to set the timing without a timing light? It is still 6 volt possitive ground and after replacing the head gasket and getting some work done on the head it some times takes time to start but not always and was wondering if the timing is off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:36 pm

Re: Timing

Yes, you can "static" time it with a simple test light. With the points set correctly (right gap) connect one end to the wire to the points, the other to power hot. crank the engine over to number 1 or 6 compression stroke. with the ign off. slowly move the crank toward TDC until the light just goes out. look at the timing mark in the bell housing to see if the mark is near the correct spec.
Depending on how careful you are at cranking and stopping when the light just goes out, you can get it fairly close to the correct time.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:05 am

if you don't have a test light set #1 on top dead center with the timing mark on the pulley , then put a ciggarett paper in the points , turn the distributer clockwise untill the paper is held tightly in the points . Now , while pulling gently on the paper with one hand , turn the distributer counter clockwise with the other untill the points open up and release the paper , at that exact point you are close . Hope that made sence

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:45 am

^^^ That's what I love about machinery from this era! Two perfectly good ways to time the engine. Try that with your 2018 truck! :yay:
56 S120 4x4,

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks for the info I do love learning and working on my truck.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:42 pm

One more question re the advance timing do you set it to the 0 mark between the + and - , and when is this done after the timing is adjusted?

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:38 pm

Binder Mike wrote:^^^ That's what I love about machinery from this era! Two perfectly good ways to time the engine. Try that with your 2018 truck! :yay:

A modern truck engine does not need all the ongoing attention of an old blister. Newer is always better, in every way.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:47 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:
Binder Mike wrote:^^^ That's what I love about machinery from this era! Two perfectly good ways to time the engine. Try that with your 2018 truck! :yay:

A modern truck engine does not need all the ongoing attention of an old blister. Newer is always better, in every way.

Yeah until the ECM goes south. :lol:
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:54 pm

The ECM is the most reliable innovation. The company I worked for had over 1000 ECM vehicles. Years would pass without a problem. Sensors and wiring were more of the problem and not that often.
Judging by the questions asked on forums, the old engine systems pose a problem, in all of their simplicity.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:43 pm

Newer will run longer with less attention, BUT old and simple will make it back home. When things go wrong with electronic's there is no "bailing wire and bubble gum" fix to get you back home, like there is with mechanical stuff.
In all the millions of miles I have driven, I have been "on the hook" only twice. Once for a PT fuel pump failure, once for a another fuel issue. All other problems I could fix or make temp repair to get somewhere where I could make full repairs.
When I started trucking, truckers stopped to help other truckers (and cars too) but today there is little anyone can do on the side of the road.
In the past I have handed out throttle return springs and fuel filters as well as countless air system repairs.
Now it is things like throttle pedals (drive by wire) and other sensors that sideline trucks, and the only option is replacing the part or a tow to where the part can be replaced. Towing a loaded semi runs into serious bucks! A few miles can easily exceed $500 if a simple tow and can be many times that if the trailer has to be moved separately
Next

Return to L, R and S Build-Off