Timing

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:58 pm

Re: Timing

My posts are a bit tongue in cheek but I will say the 73 Ford F250 4X4 I've owned for the last 25 years and untold miles has never left me stranded and had to be towed, I could always fix it and get home. I haven't had as good luck with some ECM controlled trucks.

Another serious statement I'll make here is that I'd much rather work on an old inline six of any manufacture than to replace a sensor I can't even see on a modern motor and have to do by feel or a timing belt on my wife's Subaru. Knock sensors on my Toyota? buried under the intake manifold, 4 - 5 hour job to replace with the added frustration that if mice gnaw the wires you'll be back in there again to replace the harness. There's good to be said for both eras but it is a lot more fun for me to work on the old stuff.
Last edited by Binder Mike on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:58 am

It's not like you have to change the spark plugs in a Ford truck often , but when you do I've heard it's a bear . What I like to think about along these lines is when I was mowing with my Super A and it wasn't running the best and I got off the the tractor ,popped the distributer cap and scraped the points with a pocket knife ,or other times cleaned out the sediment bowl , presto !

As far as the fine tunning , the manual basicly says , after acieving 0 degrees find where you like it the best some where around 3 to 6 , some where in there .

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks for all the information it's much appreciated.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:29 pm

Binder Mike wrote: There's good to be said for both eras but it is a lot more fun for me to work on the old stuff.

I think you hit the nail on the head, the new ones are nice to get in and turn the key, the old ones are fun to work on!
I've reached the point in my life, I'll do the simple stuff that I can reach easly, but pay someone else to curse and get cut hands on the hard to reach stuff. On my older trucks everything is easy to reach!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:05 am

I'm in the same boat as CB. I'd rather have something I can easily fix on the side of the road with simple tools and get home for complete repairs than something I have to have towed home because a sensor conked out. Plus they are a lot more enjoyable to turn wrenches on.
46 K3
52 L110
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
Previous

Return to L, R and S Build-Off