Buzzman's '52 L-112 Build Thread

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:54 am

Re: Buzzman's '52 L-112 Build Thread

Y'know that talk of life getting in the way? Yep...once again.

My mom has been having some dementia problems, and since I'm the only family member within 100 miles, it's my responsibility to see she's taken care of. For the past 3 years my wife and I have been caring for her in her home. For now she's in a rehab/long-term care facility, but getting her settled in and taking care of all the stuff here on the outside is taking a considerable amount of my time.

I WILL get back to my truck; I promised my 11-year-old grandson we'd have it driving before he was legally driving, and it WILL happen.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:33 am

That pesky "Life"... No pressure, the truck will be there. It will get done in time and it will be great. Looking forward to seeing the build.

-Jake
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Been where you are sir, it is not easy. Family comes first, ALWAYS. I was my Mothers' brother, When she was 8 years old, That was the last three years of her life. I am her youngest child.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:27 pm

I built a tailgate for our R120. I used a front bulk-head from a 1956 box. The tube is stainless scrap pieces. The scrap seller said the stainless was taken from public transit busses.
I used some expanded metal mesh to fill in the side spaces. The OEM tailgate hooks fit the stainless tube perfectly. I used SEX bolts to fasten the hooks. https://www.fastenright.com/products/ge ... arrel-nuts
Attachments
safe sex-bolt.jpg
TAILGATE HOOK.jpg
fits the stainless tube.
R120 IHC Cummins.jpg
tailgate home made.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Another setback. On Friday I had surgery on my left rotator cuff. Fortunately, unlike my right rotator cuff surgery in 2017, there was no bicep tendon repair necessary.

So the truck gets "back-burnered" another time. But if the left goes as well as the right, as far as rehab, by late spring I should be able to get down and boogie on the project.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:24 pm

Get well soon and give yourself time to recuperate! Spring is always a good time of year to start up a project as the world around us is renewing itself. The garage is always a bit warmer then too! :mrgreen:
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:16 pm

I understand where you are so well. Getting old can really be a PITA. I continue with the struggle to be involved in the shop. A day away sets me up for a much worse day when I return to my shop.
We have had some snow this morning. I have not left the house just yet. A hard fall could mark the end, for me.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:35 pm

nikkinutshop wrote:I understand where you are so well. Getting old can really be a PITA. I continue with the struggle to be involved in the shop. A day away sets me up for a much worse day when I return to my shop.
We have had some snow this morning. I have not left the house just yet. A hard fall could mark the end, for me.

I'm not normally one to quote Shakespeare on a truck enthusiast site but old Will's : "Discretion is the better part of valor" is a favorite of mine. The wise man chooses his battles and when. I've been down for the past three days with a bad head and chest cold just itching to get back in the garage to work on my truck knowing that if I do I'll probably set myself back a few more days so I wait. At least I can pass the time making plans and checking out some nice Binders online.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 19, 2020 11:09 am

Starting to get things ready to build something. Going to start with the idea of getting the "rolling stock" under the truck first. I have the Explorer 8.8 disc brake rear end, and I have the Pacer front suspension clip. I recently purchased the Chassis Engineering AR-2340 kit for installing the Pacer crossmember in a '40-'54 Chevy pickup, so with their instruction sheet, I know what to cut off the Pacer cross-member [brackets used to mount it in a Pacer, not used in the truck applications], and I have the pieces from the kit that I can weld together to make it fit my '52 Binder.

To get to the install point, I need to remove the driveshaft, T-98 transmission, and BD-264 engine in that order so I can have an unobstructed view of the front axle area. Once the frame is supported on jack stands, I can start removing the steering linkage from the pitman arm, and then remove the front leaf springs from the hangers...and hopefully roll the old straight axle out as an assembly. I'll probably have that Pacer crossmember under that frame a dozen times to make sure my measurements work out, and that I get the tires centered in the wheel openings. I haven't taken the suspension parts off the Pacer crossmember yet, so that will likely be the FIRST set of measurements I take. Then I'll remove the suspension so the crossmember will be easier to handle [probably still won't be a picnic]. I have all the ball joints and control arm bushings to rebuild the front suspension, all in either TRW, Moog, or McQuay-Norris brands that I found over the years on eBay. Since the springs are the same as Camaro or 4.3 V6 Caprice [Moog 5596 or 5598, depending on how heavy a spring I decide to go with], if I need to replace the springs, they're available.

When I get started out back, I'll get some help to set the currently-unbolted bed on some sawhorses so I can have an equally unobstructed view of everything. The spring hangers and shackles look suspiciously like GM...so I've been researching. '73-'87 Chevy C10 rear springs are made like the original IH springs, 26" from the tie bolt to the front eye and 26" from the tie bolt to the rear eye. But where the IH springs are 1.75" wide, the Chevy springs are 2.5" wide. So I'll have to check the width of the Explorer axle to see if I can use springs that are 3/4" of an inch wider on each side. If I can, I'll buy replacement springs and spring brackets and shackles for a '75 C10...which will allow me to install a set of Caltracs if I find my truck having traction problems with a V8. If the Chevy stuff won't fit, guess I'll keep the stock Binder springs, minus some leaves. I mean, the only thing I'm gonna be hauling in that truck once it's finished is a** [I hope]. I want to research other builds that have used the Explorer rear end in a spring-under-axle configuration to determine whether I'll need to C-notch and box the rear frame in the axle area. But I suspect that will be necessary; if not, that's one less step.

Removing the original steering column will probably be a pain, but I have a '79 Cutlass tilt column to replace the stocker...and nearly every hot-rod joint on the planet carries steering shaft and u-joints to make everything align.

The goal is to get the front and rear axle upgrades installed by the fall, so the truck can at least roll and be steered. The plan is in place, as written in this post. Plans, of course, are subject to modifications as necessary. And I'm sure there will be modifications as I go.

But I already have my Novak adapter kit to install either a 700R4 or a 200-4R behind my AMC/Jeep V8. And while the engine is out, I'll have plenty of room to climb into the engine compartment and try to engineer a set of forward hood hinges, moving the hood in front of the grille when it's open. Got a line on an '88 Buick Lesabre hood and hinges, so that'll be a starting point. Hope springs eternal...

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 19, 2020 11:35 am

PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off