54 R110 Hood adj

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:59 am

54 R110 Hood adj

Hi there,
The hood and fenders on my truck have chips on them from opening and rubbing on each other. I tried looking on the site for info and also tried adjusting according to the service manual, but the adjustment did not give me any more clearance, any info is appreciated. thanks

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:49 pm

Re: 54 R110 Hood adj

Mine is the same way, and I haven't gotten it adjusted yet, but it looks to me that with the "V" shape of the hood, moving the hinges toward the cab (two bolts on the outside of the inner fenders, behind the wheels) should increase the gap between the fenders and hood.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:26 pm

The last hood that worked well and did not scratch the fenders was the dual cantilever hinged hood of the "L" series. The only adjustment that a person should be concerned about is matching the hood to the top of the cowl. The typical way of adjusting the sheetmetal on these trucks and Fords of the 1940s is to set the hood first then match inner fender aprons to the hood then the grill and lastly, the
fenders. I have, for my own "R" series, removed the cross-bows from an "L" hood and transferred the bows into my "R" hood. I installed "L" inner fender aprons to support and match the "L" hood hinges.

There should be some rubber buttons on the lower edges of the hood. The rubber buttons may prevent deep damage and scratching, but, there will be rub marks.
I do not remember if IHC ever went back to a double hinge system.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:48 am

Back in the day, these trucks were built to be draft horses, not show horses. The engineers at IH hadn't gotten to that point where they were overly concerned with paint damage from opening and closing the hood hundreds or thousands of times.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:10 am

nikkinutshop wrote: I do not remember if IHC ever went back to a double hinge system.

The S series trucks had two latches on each side.

Dean
Lifelong Kansan
Grew up with red paint
Moved off the farm 33 years ago.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:49 am

As previously mentioned there were originally factory rubber mushroom bumpers,
good once the hood is closed.

Below are a couple methods I use,

The lay in place rubber bumper , and sometimes I will wedge the rubber IH mats you can see under the
red shop rag and close the hood they stay in place while driving to not only protect the paint but add a bit of connivence
for quick hood openings, and nice fender protectors as your leaning into it and laying tools on the fenders.
In the photo for-front is a 1/2 thick piece of felt, makes for nice bumper welts when the hood is closed.

Return to L, R and S Build-Off