54 R110 Lower Main Seal

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:18 pm

54 R110 Lower Main Seal

Hi there,
I am new, and have a 54 r110 and the lower main seal is leaking. I am not a mechanic, but is there a way of putting the rope seal in from the bottom, without taking the crankshaft out? The clutch is starting to slip, and I did spray it with brake cleaner which helped, but if I have to take the clutch out, I will.
Any suggestions are appreciated,
thanks.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:24 pm

Re: 54 R110 Lower Main Seal

Yes, there are tools made to do it, but it is hard to do if you haven't done one before. The pan has to come down, and its a lot easyer with the bell off, and the flywheel out of the way.
My view on doing rope seals in place is this: It will take a major leak down to a minor one if done correctly, but there is really no substitute for doing it with the crank out. The reason is simple, with the crank out, you compress the rope into the block with a wooden dowel, rolling it into the groove, after it is fully compressed you trim the rope flush with the block. When you do it inplace, it is not possible to fully and evenly compress the rope from below the crank, so you must cut the rope long and try and drive in flush to get a tight seal, you always end up with it more compressed at the sides than directly above the crank.
With all the work involved to do it in place, it hardly seams worth the effort. With an inline, I'd pull the engine, flip it on an engine stand and pull the crank, you'll have about the same amount of time in, but get a better job.
I have done them in place, once did a Buick V-8 that would have been hard to get out. If I have the choice, I pull and do it right, its not a job you will like having to do twice!

Rookie
Rookie

Post Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks very much,
I have a rear wheel seal that was leaking, I took the wheel hub off and replaced the seal. The breather on the axle was plugged, I sanded the shaft a bit, and there was gasket rubber around the seal.
After replacing the seal, I took it for a test spin, and it is still leaking a bit, but I am unsure whether I have tightened the axle nut correctly, tight/overtight, and unsure how to measure the play in the wheel.
Also to take the shaft out, do you have to take the driveshaft off, take it out through the middle?
Thanks again

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue May 01, 2018 8:58 am

I'm no expert on the lighter Semi-floating axles. IIRC there is an inner seal to keep oil off the bearing, the bearing is lubed by grease and then there is an outer grease seal. If you are getting oil out past the outer grease seal, than there is more wrong than the outer seal. Bearing and/or inner seal is likely. But I will defer to someone with more time in on these lighter axles.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sat May 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks, I will let you know what happens,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 13, 2018 8:22 am

Rocket31 wrote:Hi there,
I am new, and have a 54 r110 and the lower main seal is leaking. I am not a mechanic, but is there a way of putting the rope seal in from the bottom, without taking the crankshaft out? The clutch is starting to slip, and I did spray it with brake cleaner which helped, but if I have to take the clutch out, I will. edit, fly wheel too
thanks.

I going to give this a shot.
I replaced my rear seal years back, IT TOOK ME TWO TIMES.
The second time with success, I had to remove the transfer, transmission , clutch, radiator, timing cover, and harmonic balance in order to get the crank low enough to remove and install the rope with adequate clearance. After removing the rear main cap, lowered the rest of the main caps hanging the crank by the threads. Removed the old seal and was able to get the crush on the new seal.
Caution, watch the bearings when tightening the main bolts.
I think that's about it. Hope this helps.
Last edited by kevin on Sun May 13, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun May 13, 2018 12:39 pm

thanks, i was hoping it would be easier, I will continue to carry a piece of cardboard until I have time,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sun May 13, 2018 12:43 pm

kevin wrote:
Rocket31 wrote:Hi there,
I am new, and have a 54 r110 and the lower main seal is leaking. I am not a mechanic, but is there a way of putting the rope seal in from the bottom, without taking the crankshaft out? The clutch is starting to slip, and I did spray it with brake cleaner which helped, but if I have to take the clutch out, I will.
thanks.

I going to give this a shot.
I replaced my rear seal years back, IT TOOK ME TWO TIMES.
The second time with success, I had to remove the transfer, transmission , clutch, radiator, timing cover, and harmonic balance in order to get the crank low enough to remove and install the rope with adequate clearance. After removing the rear main cap, lowered the rest of the main caps hanging the crank by the threads. Removed the old seal and was able to get the crush on the new seal.
Caution, watch the bearings when tightening the main bolts.
I think that's about it. Hope this helps.

This is why I suggest pulling the engine and doing it on an engine stand with the crank out. It took him two trys, and look at all the labor, Pulling the engine requires about the same number of things to be removed, but you get much better access and are more likely to be sucessful on the 1st shot.

Rookie
Rookie

Post Sun May 13, 2018 10:09 pm

thanks very much, will let you know how I do,

Return to L, R and S Build-Off