Leaf springs

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Leaf springs

My L110 has the original springs all-around and was wondering if anyone has removed a few of the smaller leafs to emprove the ride. It now feels like your driving a dump truck.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Re: Leaf springs

You may get lucky by pulling random spring leaves out of a spring pack, BUT, maybe not. A spring pack is an engineered component. Each spring leaf supports the other leaves next to it and vise versa.
You would be better advised to take the truck to a spring shop and have the spring packs adjusted.
Unless the springs are really corroded it may be possible to have some of the leaves re-arced.
Our L110 has four remaining spring leaves in each pack. I had a spring shop rebuild and remove leaves. I want just enough leaves to keep the axle tracking properly. Our "L" has an air spring on each corner to carry the load. Holland Neway height control valves keep the truck level. The ride should be much improved for about a grand.
Check the HARRIS rubber bushings and replace them. The bushings will have become hard and may have split and or gone missing. New soft rubber bushings equal softer ride
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Return to L, R and S Build-Off