Door key

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:08 pm

Door key

Can anyone tell me why there is a key entry only on the passenger door only. I thought my driver door was worked but after looking at some other L110s they all seem to be the same. Can't figure out why it would have been built this way.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Re: Door key

The motor vehicle and highway traffic laws in many places, including Canada, required persons leaving a vehicle to do so on the curb side, away from passing traffic. So to cooperate with local laws and possibly save 15 cents on each truck IHC and many other manufacturers put the only door lock on the right side.
I have an IHC "R" crewcab that was built for mostly severe service off public roads. the only lock is on the right front door. The door behind the driver, on the left side has been welded shut and faired in with lead by the factory in Orrville, Ohio.
My 1940 Ford was built with the only lock for four doors on the front passenger door. I did buy and install a driver's door lock system from Bob Drake Reproductions.
I know you will likely ask, "can I add a key lock to the left door catch?" The answer is yes, maybe. I have three different door catch assemblies, by three different outside suppliers to IHC, that fit the L&R doors. I have looked at these catches more than a few times and I know I can make the missing bits and pieces, BUT, each missing piece will have to be hand made then fitted. Accuracy is important. I cannot be bothered. For the rear suicide doors on my 1940 Ford, I installed an electric door lock system that drives a pin from inside the door into a receiver hole in the door jamb. This is an esy install and the pin-lock can be easily adapted to remote operation. (see picture)
I have pictures of IHC locks out of the door and on a work table. I will post then if and when I find them.
The laws sometimes take decades to change. The City of Calgary had an ancient by-law that required the city to provide a good horse, bedding and three days of food for any person the city determined to be an undesirable and was being kicked out of town. In 2018, if I were to open the driver's door and a bicycle and the rider struck the opening door, I am at fault.
Attachments
door latches 6.jpg
door latches 5.jpg
door latches 4.jpg
door latches 2.jpg
door latches 1.jpg
SUICIDE DOOR SAFETY LOCKING PIN.jpg
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks for the info it was one of those why was it built that way

Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Just a side note, if you have ever been in a Foreign country with narrow cobblestone roads, or driven down a narrow alleyway. That was about the width of most roads back in the day. When I was in Germany in 77 I parked my car half on the sidewalk and half on the road, With the marker light lit on the road side, Oh, and if not one was around, I got out the driver door, otherwise I went out the passenger side. When I was in Korea in 2008, it was almost a death sentence if you got out of a vehicle on the road side. Not unusual for 5 cars wide on a 3 lane road.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:38 pm

lots of old trucks were like that, my 1937 GMC, my 1937 Diamond T, all my K, KB trucks,

back then when you went into town you'd get out your side, the wife would lift the inner handle to lock driver's door, you walked around opened her door, when she got out you'd lock it with the key,

when you came back to the truck, you'd unlock the door for her, she'd reach across and unlock your side and you'd get in,,,,,unless she was mad at you then you'd stand in the street in the pouring rain cussing
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:40 pm

International Did go to both side locks later my S-120 Travelall had keyed locks on both driver's and passenger doors, might have been an option upgrade, this Travelall had all the option available at the time
Gentle Men! you can't fight in here! This is the war room!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:51 pm

I guess no one but me watches old movies. SO many actors and actresses getting in by the pass door and sliding over. I just saw Humphrey Bogart enter the pass. door and slide over on his 1938 Plymouth Coupe in The Big Sleep.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:29 pm

I watch "adult education" videos. There does not seem to be a priority for access.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:14 am

I used Parts from a right side locking handle to make my left side handle “lockable” as well. Parts manuals show same p/ns for both single and double lock cabs. No mods needed as long as you are ok with the keys entering 180* off from each other. I pulled the wafers and mix/matched them to get both doors keyed alike.
'55 IH R-122- BG265 w/TBI fuel injection
'64 Porsche 356 C
'68 and '73 BMW 2002s
‘14 VW Passat SE TSI
3 Vintage Sears garden tractors ('66-'74)

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:52 am

lbesq wrote:Just a side note, if you have ever been in a Foreign country with narrow cobblestone roads, or driven down a narrow alleyway. That was about the width of most roads back in the day. When I was in Germany in 77 I parked my car half on the sidewalk and half on the road, With the marker light lit on the road side, Oh, and if not one was around, I got out the driver door, otherwise I went out the passenger side. When I was in Korea in 2008, it was almost a death sentence if you got out of a vehicle on the road side. Not unusual for 5 cars wide on a 3 lane road.

1st time I came across one of those side lights, was on my brothers R10, had regular "parking lights" where all four corners were lit, and then a separate switch that lit a single bulb on either the left or right side of the car, took a Bullet type bulb and had white lens forward and red to the rear, and the car came with a crank for the engine in case the battery couldn't handle the little bulb on all night.
Next

Return to L, R and S Build-Off