R SERIES CREWCAB

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:48 pm

Re: R SERIES CREWCAB

I bought a set of DANA 60 disc brake axles then matched the gears to 3:73. I paid $2700 cdn for the pair. The bolt pattern matches on these axles. I have the 8x6.5". The later metric wheels will not fit. (8x170mm )There was a light duty F250 with 7 studs. This should be avoided for my application.
The E350 was several years late in going to the metric bolt pattern.
My Dana 60 rear has less than 100 kilometers on it. A lot-boy rolled a new E350 Diesel while delivering the van.
The front axle is a D60 is a high pinion with ball joints. I had left my axle want list with WASNEY Ford recycling. It took three months to get exactly what I wanted.
The price was right, as compared to the kingpin axles. The situation I have is how to steer this axle. The original F350 cross steering might work in my situation, but, I would prefer a different cross steer design.
I plan on using a reduced leaf spring pack to track the axles, only. Air springs will be the majority of the load bearing.
Since I am not allowed out off the property because of this covid19 thing, I have been doing on-line research, and I am pleasantly surprised at the options I have. The Dana balljoint axles have become the popular option as the kingpin axles became more rare and the prices have gone way up to more than double what I paid for a balljoint axle. The kingpin steer axles are outrageous.
https://torqueking.com/category/1992-19 ... ification/
https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/produ ... 60bjhs-001
https://cpaddict.com/sky-manufacturing- ... ord-cskbj/
Attachments
F350 DANA 60 HP.jpg
F350 high pinion 1997.
E350 DANA 60.jpg
E350 rear with disc brakes
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sat May 02, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have
Thinking risks being controversial and possibly being offensive

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:21 pm

A gearset with the pinion above the centerline of the ring gear is called Amboid, below the centerline it is hypoid, if anyone cares.
The rear rear on a set of Rockwell SQHP's is amboid but when they went to SQ100s both are hypoid. I don't know if they had lube problems but mine are still going strong. Lot less driveshaft angle on the amboid rear then the Hypoid.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:53 pm

The 73 - 79 Ford F250 four wheel drives started out with the low pinion front axle and a divorced transfer case. It wasn't until 79 the last model year for that style that they switched to a high pinion front axle and married transfer case that lessened the drive line angle and length while providing more clearance, something that made the 79 the desirable year to own for that model. It makes it interesting for me now to learn about amboid and hypoid in terms of pinion location on the front axle. Mine's a 73 so it has the low pinion.
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:43 pm

I Googled around for a suitable steering linkage for my Dana 60 steering axle. I need to use a suitable transplant compatible linkage. the OEM F350 is too difficult to adapt.
This is what I found. https://www.skysoffroaddesign.com/
There is another steering linkage company I like. https://www.carrickcustoms.com/products ... eering-kit
The search goes on. I like to have everything in stock before a project starts.
https://cpaddict.com/1987-97-dana-60-hd-steering-kit/
I have the tapered reamers. https://xkut-reamers.com/ These reamers are so sharp they will shave arm hair. They cost $141.35cdn, each. I bought two, just incase. My theory is, If I have an extra reamer, the first will never break.
I bought these reamers to recondition the steering knuckles on my D60 steering axle. Both steering knuckles suffered taper damage from dirty and improper rod end installation. There is a proper way to install a cotter-pin. This axle suffered from stupidity. There is a proper way to install a cotter pin (aka split pin) Google it. I like to see the cotter pin sized so it fits the cross-hole snuggly. I like to snug the castle nut against the pin. I often spray a little rattle can black paint on the final installation.
Attachments
cotter pi install.jpg
my preferred way.
cotter pi install.jpg (7.59 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
Last edited by nikkinutshop on Sun May 03, 2020 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:19 pm

Looks like you are on your way, Nikki!!

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:02 am

Far from it. I am sorting out the details by phone and the Internet, right now. That is all I can do under the covit19 restrictions. I cannot pick up parts at my Washington mailing address. I cannot take any chance of getting the covit19 virus, so I am not going out. Anything I have purchased is not essential and must wait. I am not in a rush. I have lots of interesting stuff to do in the shop.
My wife and daughter went to the pet store today. They had to wait outside until 2 shoppers left. The store only accepts cards, no cash. They were not allowed to touch anything. A sales person assisted. The covit19 is taken seriously here.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:04 pm

I had a short peek at the crewcab on the weekend. It is still waiting, quietly in dark dry rodent free storage. I hope my plans are not too big to fit. I have one person interested in the crewcab. Of course they want to take it off my hands and pay nothing.
I have so much stuff gathered for this build, like: A new Cummins 24 valve 5.9, custom radiator, new NVG4500 transmission, NVG 241did transfercase, Dana 60 front high pinion disc brake axle (used) and a new rear Dana 60 disc bake axle with power lock gears. IHC R150 frame in NOS condition.
I have stopped buying parts for storage.
I will likely have to build the crewcab in modules. I need to find a safe place to park the Ford, in the near future. I am still considering having the ceiling in the shop raised to better accommodate a 4 post hoist. Ford up and IHC down.
My wife knows a contractor who might take on the challenge. The last contractor estimate was way too expensive. He wanted $25K just for 4 days labor and I buy the 5-6 cathedral rafters. 20036

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:39 pm

I had given some thought to doing this with my crewcab build. The drive for the rear axles was something I had not figured out, yet. This guy has done, what I think is a good job of working out the challenge. https://youtu.be/ykJRWxKHvrk
I just sold my last NP205 transfer-case. I got $450 for it. I hope I can make a better deal for another NP205, if I decide to go this route. I will call the Ford recycler on Monday to see what is available in another Dana 60 rear from an E350.
Now, I have to hope my health holds on. At 75+ nothing is guaranteed.
Attachments
6X6 conversion.jpg
6X6 rear axle drive.
AAH OOH GAH GOES HERE.jpg
Imagine this as a 6X6.
F350 DANA 60 HP.jpg
D60 HP F350 front
E350 DANA 60.jpg
One more for the road SVP 22438

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:03 pm

Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:39 pm was the last time I looked at this, my thread. This last year has passed very quickly, albeit with some pain and lots of hospital time. I appear to be on the mend. Another week or two and I should be able to get out of the house. My new glasses prescription has arrived. the optometrist says I am allowed to drive again.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:05 pm

Time flies when you're having fun. Great project!!
I'm just an old truck guy trapped in a hot rodder's world.
1954 R100
1947 and 1949 KB2's
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off