R SERIES CREWCAB

The place to put your L, R and S "Build Off" story.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:48 am

Re: R SERIES CREWCAB

nikkinutshop wrote:Interesting link. I found a picture of my Orrville Crewcab. My Orrville crewcab remains in dry storage while I work out some logistics.
http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/crown_s ... _steel.htm

Until the body change in 1999 on the F250HD and larger, Crown made all the Ford crew cabs. I was working in the parts department at a Ford dealer a few miles from the Kentucky Truck Plant when KTP added more building and staff and took the crew cabs in-house.
My posts contain my own opinions...your mileage may vary, void where prohibited, objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:11 am

Very interesting video. This video has given my original idea some extra credibility. I wish I had more space and fewer birthdays. Budget for this venture is not a problem, yet. I have most of the everything I will need, except space indoors.

https://youtu.be/lim4sV9kJ5w
I would rather have tools I do not need than to need tools I do not have

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:25 am

Yes, a couple of interesting trucks. Like many of the comments, the 66 seems overly lifted- I imagine you'll be a bit more conservative with your Orrville, I hope. Can you squeeze 550HP from your 4Bt? I'll bet you could get 1000ftlb torque, which would be "mehr als genuch"

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:59 am

The big squeeze equals a shorter engine life and reliability may be compromised. My 4bta is stock. The injection pump governor was set to 3200 rpm from 2200 rpm. No other changes were made when NW Diesel did a rebuild.
I bought a 24 valve Cummins about 10 years ago at an insurance company auction because of the price. A local business makes a modified harness for the 24 valve Cummins. The ECU remains unchanged except it will not rely on the Dodge chassis computer. The 24 valve becomes what is called a one wire system. Of course there are more wire connections
Cummins build reliability. I do not need to change anything that might compromise that.
I have more new questions than answers after watching the video a few times. I think I can build something I would like better. I liked this truck body style since I saw my first IHC crewcab in the 1950s, in rural Alberta, Canada.
I have the funds. I need the time and indoor space. I am working on making the space. I cannot control the time. I really appreciate the life I have. I thank my Dad for seeing my possibilities and sending me to trade school.
After all this and that, I still prefer the Old International Harvester styling.

Rusty Driver
Rusty Driver

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:08 pm

I like the IH look, and like the look of your Orville cab as well. I'm not tied only to IH, but probably prefer the Chevrolet, having owned three Chevy trucks in my lifetime. I probably like the rarity of the IH or Studebaker trucks vice the ubiquitous F-100s and C10s. That yellow Chevy he did not detail is also neat looking, I suspect it was a large truck body made into a pickup, the logo said C50. The doghouse was shorter than the normal pickup, mated to the stretched crew cab.

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:23 pm

Here is one for the Chevy (GMC really) lovers a 702 stuff under the hood.
For those that aren't familiar with the engine, it is a monoblock V 12 based off the GMC 351 V6. Uses one crank and cam and 4 V6 heads.
Attachments
702 pick-up.jpg
702 V 12

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:46 pm

^ Open headers no less, that's got to sound like a P-51 Mustang!
56 S120 4x4,

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:58 pm

https://youtu.be/uliIC9c7-2g

Ear protection, everyone.

Yard Art
Yard Art

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:26 pm

I had never seen the gmc 702 before, but I'd sure like to have one!
Here's a video of one running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtfPFLQMbUM
1936 International C40
1962 Triumph TR4
2002 Chevy Avalanche

Golden Jubilee
Golden Jubilee

Post Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:46 pm

The company I worked for was a certified marine Detroit Diesel rebuilt facility. On the days the 12V71 engines were being run-up on the dyno, I would often hang back to listen. There are lots of examples on You Tube.
PreviousNext

Return to L, R and S Build-Off